function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bincloudbincloud 

Time management in a restaurant

I need a logic to build a table booking app that makes user to book his table .....  and we have to make sure that table is free at user requested time.   Please suggest how many way we can solve this 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
AdrianCCAdrianCC

Hi,

I'd go like this:

1. use Contacts and Accounts for the customers; in case a company makes a reservation you should also be able to select it. Use email address and/or phone to insert/update contacts/accounts accordingly. This will ensure you also have a history of that customer, and can search to see what/when he did.

2. create a Resource/Table custom object. These records will not modify(or very rarely). Put info like table number, number of chairs, position in restaurant etc here - you prolly know better that me what fields you need for this.

3. create a Reservation/Resource Allocation custom object. This is your bread and butter and you'll use it to link Contacts and Tables. Use Lookups. Other fields: a DateTime for the time of the reservation, Expected Duration(in minutes), a Confirmed? checkbox, a textbox for Details or Other Requests( idk, maybe the customer wants candles on the table etc). Upon creation of the record a new Task will be created to call/email the contact for confirmation. A Status picklist would also make sense to see where is the reservation at the moment. Another task to send an auto-email for confirmation would also work...

As for the page where the customer makes the reservations, you'll need a form that creates the Reservation__c object. The Tables will be available to him for selection based on the Status. You'll also need to capture Name, Email, Phone and match these with the Contacts/Accounts that you have. Nice to have would be a visual represention of the restaurant, smth maybe made with js.

You could also expand this app to  see Customer satisfaction,  track the history of a customer, add waiters etc other resources.

My 2 cents,

Adrian 

All Answers

AdrianCCAdrianCC

Hi,

I'd go like this:

1. use Contacts and Accounts for the customers; in case a company makes a reservation you should also be able to select it. Use email address and/or phone to insert/update contacts/accounts accordingly. This will ensure you also have a history of that customer, and can search to see what/when he did.

2. create a Resource/Table custom object. These records will not modify(or very rarely). Put info like table number, number of chairs, position in restaurant etc here - you prolly know better that me what fields you need for this.

3. create a Reservation/Resource Allocation custom object. This is your bread and butter and you'll use it to link Contacts and Tables. Use Lookups. Other fields: a DateTime for the time of the reservation, Expected Duration(in minutes), a Confirmed? checkbox, a textbox for Details or Other Requests( idk, maybe the customer wants candles on the table etc). Upon creation of the record a new Task will be created to call/email the contact for confirmation. A Status picklist would also make sense to see where is the reservation at the moment. Another task to send an auto-email for confirmation would also work...

As for the page where the customer makes the reservations, you'll need a form that creates the Reservation__c object. The Tables will be available to him for selection based on the Status. You'll also need to capture Name, Email, Phone and match these with the Contacts/Accounts that you have. Nice to have would be a visual represention of the restaurant, smth maybe made with js.

You could also expand this app to  see Customer satisfaction,  track the history of a customer, add waiters etc other resources.

My 2 cents,

Adrian 

This was selected as the best answer
bincloudbincloud

Thats Very Helpfull Thank you very much 

Allan MattockAllan Mattock
nice idea, but
Allan MattockAllan Mattock
The idea is good, in principle, almost all restaurants already operate this way. But this should be done by a specially trained person. I know what time management is, used https://samploon.com/free-essays/time-management/ for information. You certainly will not create such an application yourself. Unless of course you are a web developer. You need to know the formulas for how to program all this correctly.