function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TheCustomCloudTheCustomCloud 

(IMPORTANT) When going over a million records what are the effects on performance?

I have been told that 1 million is the optimal limit for records in an object but not what exactly this means and I cannot find this very important topic discussed in any of the documents.  

My questions are: 

1) How bad is this performance hit as you pass one million? 

2) Is the performance hit exponential?  (ex: after 1 million you see a 1% slow down but after 2 million you see a 10% slow down)

3) Is there a hard limit?

I cannot find this information anywhere and it is very important as my client will be going over a million records within 20 days and does not have a purge plan in place.

Message Edited by Redfin on 07-31-2009 10:09 AM
werewolfwerewolf

1 million records is not a hard limit, and it's not like the system will suddenly seize up after you pass 1 million records.  Admittedly, at that volume you should think about putting together an archiving plan, but it's not going to kill you.  Chances are, if you're seeing good performance now, you'll continue to see good performance.

As with any database, performance in Salesforce.com does degrade with the number of records you're storing.  It is generally linear or better than linear and not exponential, and it tends to affect operations done in bulk rather than individual operations.  For example, looking at a detail page is an individual operation (although it does have some bulk ops in the form of its related lists), whereas viewing a list view or report is a bulk operation. 

Salesforce.com does not release information on how performance degrades with volume because it keeps improving with every release as Salesforce.com puts in changes to aid its handling of high volumes.  Salesforce.com runs vastly better at 1M records today than it did a year ago, for example.

Generally, if you're not seeing significant performance degradation now, then you've got some headroom.  Still, you can take steps to ensure that you don't see much degradation.

Let's say for the sake of this example that you're approaching 1M cases.  I would recommend you do the following:

1. Turn on  Setup | User Interface | Enable Separate Loading of Related Lists.  It'll help your detail pages load faster by deferring the bulk ops.

2.  Minimize the use of the Cases related list to only those pages and those profiles that need it.

3.  Contact your premier support rep or CSM if you have one and let them know about your data volumes.  If you have reports on Case that often trigger on a given column (say, a custom field called Product__c), then Salesforce.com Support may be able to add what's called a "custom index" on that field to ensure that reports with the field in their criteria run faster.

In general, it's a good idea to get your Salesforce.com rep involved in the conversation, but hitting 1M records is not the end of the world, it's just a guideline.

OneNewbieOneNewbie
While I agree there is no hard limit I can tell you from our experience that views, reports, and even searches get affected by the amount of data you have in the system. We started to see timeouts specially during peak usage times which we don't see during off hours. It is really frustrating for users to have to refresh views until they can get their results. We have included several filter criterias but it is not the right solution. We are working with SFDC to get this solved but it has been a learning experience.  We didn't start seeing the issues I describe above until we went over 1.3 million records in one object. You would think SFDC should be able to handle views and reports without timing out (specially during 8-3 timeframe) but apparently that is not the case.
TheCustomCloudTheCustomCloud

Onenewbie, that is very interesting.  We should be over 2 million in 2 months and I am afraid there may be more adverse effects than the sales people let on or that they know/understand.

Has anyone else had trouble when a single object has more then a million or two million records? 

jhulinajhulina
We are also considering going over 2 million records.  ANy other feedback is appreciated.