function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ViwalViwal 

Difference between salesforce administrator and developer

what is the difference between salesforce administrator and developer ?

Can somebody please explain it.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

This is more of a governance/roles and responsibilities question, as there may be no technical difference between the developer and admin user.  For example, its highly likely they would both have the System Administrator profile, or a clone of this.  

Generally speaking:

A Salesforce administrator is someone who manages and administers a production Salesforce organization.  Admins usually carry out minor declarative changes and have responsibility for managing releases into production.  

A developer would typically build functionality including Apex/Visualforce in a sandbox before handing it over to the administrator to schedule deployment.  

I've had occasions where I've been both a developer and an adminstrator for Salesforce instances - in this case its extremely important to remind yourself of your different roles/responsibilities when acting as one or the other.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

This is more of a governance/roles and responsibilities question, as there may be no technical difference between the developer and admin user.  For example, its highly likely they would both have the System Administrator profile, or a clone of this.  

Generally speaking:

A Salesforce administrator is someone who manages and administers a production Salesforce organization.  Admins usually carry out minor declarative changes and have responsibility for managing releases into production.  

A developer would typically build functionality including Apex/Visualforce in a sandbox before handing it over to the administrator to schedule deployment.  

I've had occasions where I've been both a developer and an adminstrator for Salesforce instances - in this case its extremely important to remind yourself of your different roles/responsibilities when acting as one or the other.

This was selected as the best answer
ViwalViwal

@bob_buzzard :Thank u very much :)

Job SeekerJob Seeker

Hi,

I am planning to do salesforce cloud computing training and certification and start my career in this field. I have 4 yrs of exp in windows system administration.

My doubt is which role is having more opportunities whether salesforce administrator or developer????

Please clear my confusion.

Naga

Raja MummadavarapuRaja Mummadavarapu
Hello Naga, Which role did you choose? which one do you prefer, based on your exp form 2012? around 4 years already.
suresh Kumar 308suresh Kumar 308
Hi,
  am planning to enter into salesforce technology, till now am hving around 6 years of experience in java technology. Please suggest me whether i have to learn salesforce developer or an adminstrator. 
Sunad RasaneSunad Rasane
Hello surest Kumar.. 
I have just completed my Salesforce administration and development training.. I m a fresher.. But still can suggest u that if u have 6yrs experience in Java then u can go for administrative+development training.. Development will be easier for u as apex programming is similar to Java.. 
Daisy ScottDaisy Scott
the career for Salesforce Developers and Administrator roles, which are high in demand. Salesforce also offers certifications in these two roles, which helps the aspirants to make the career in these roles or make them marketable. For those who want to have along-lasting career in Salesforce, the certifications are also necessary. Here we are going to describe two majorly in-demand Salesforce expert roles, from which you can choose any as per your expertise and interest: Learn more (http://www.janbask.com/blog/how-to-make-career-as-salesforce-developers-or-salesforce-administrator/)