function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OzymandiasOzymandias 

Using Force.com Migration Tool to copy Production metadata to Developer Edition

I'm trying to use the Force.com Migration Tool to make a Developer Edition org an exact copy of what we've configured and developed in our Production org. Retrieving the metadata hasn't been an issue but I've hit some roadblocks while attempting to deploy everything to the Developer org. From the looks of it, the errors are mostly due to dependencies.

Has anyone successfully done this? If so, I'd appreciate it if you could share any tips or lessons learned as it would save me some time trying to figure it out. Let me know if you need additional info from me as well.

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher

I've done that before - didn't run into any issues.  What dependencies are you hitting?

-Andy

hisrinuhisrinu

You can migrate the changes from production to developer org using ANT/Force.com IDE/any other migration tool (third party).

If you have any additional futures requested in the production org, you need to have the same features to be avaialble in your developer org. Apart from this you don't really need any other setup.

If it is a small project you can create a force.com ide project and push all the changes to developer org in one shot, provided there are not much dependencies on manual work.

Try this out and let us know if you have any issues, all the best :)

OzymandiasOzymandias

Thanks for the replies guys.

First off, after failing to deploy everything in one go, I've decided to start small and try to get only the custom objects and custom fields deployed. Once that's done, I intend to slowly work my way up to finally getting the Apex classes and VF pages deployed (which is the ultimate goal).

Here's how the package.xml looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Package xmlns="http://soap.sforce.com/2006/04/metadata">
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <name>CustomField</name>
    </types>
    <types>
        <members>*</members>
        <members>Account</members>
        <members>Campaign</members>
        <members>Contact</members>
        <members>Opportunity</members>
        <name>CustomObject</name>
    </types>
    <version>23.0</version>
</Package>

From what I can see, the deploy errors can be grouped as follows:

1. Attempting to deploy custom fields on standard Objects that were created by managed packages - the production org has a few managed packages installed (some of which are paid). If I'm correct, my only option is to install all the managed packages in the Developer Org first, which would be a problem for the ones which aren't free. Does anyone know of a way to exclude the managed package custom fields from the deployment?

2. Role is missing in the target Developer Org - I find this a bit odd, because it seems that these occur when attempting to deploy List Views related to a few Custom Objects. However, when you look at the package.xml file above that I'm using for deployment, List Views aren't included, so I'm a bit confused as to why it's even attempting that.

Appreciate any insight you guys can give.

jwalshjwalsh

Hey @Ozymandias,

Any luck with this issue since you posted?  I'm having the exact same issue with my org.  We have several managed packages installed, including several paid apps.  Up to this point our SFDC customizations have been done on an ad hoc basis and we're trying to bring in some more control around our development.  Right now the dependencies on external packages are throwing a big roadblock in my way.  Only thing I can think of is to write a tool that parses all the XML and snips out those external dependencies, which I am not thrilled to do.