function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion

Custom field on Opportunity not being set to default value after lead convert

I have a custom number field on the Opportunity object: Desired DCR with a default value of 1.2. When I create a new opportunity the field is set to the default value correctly. When I convert a lead this field is left blank is this normal functionality? 


I have a workaround but this behaviour is difficult to understand. 



It seems the lead conversion routine is doing some assignment on it's own and emptying your field . What is peculiar is that your field is a custom hence ideally the routine conversion should not have behave the way it is.

There must be some other details which probably we are missing, could you please furnish any other small/ trivial detail which may help us arrive at a reason for this behaviour.


Thanks for the reply. Here's a crack at the mundane details:



  • This field is not being mapped from Lead.
  • We do have a lead convert trigger that we use to populate other objects on convert, Opportunity is not one of them.
  • I'm using a System Admin account, haven't tried with a normal user.
  • There are multiple opportunity record types. A converted opportunity gets set to the default one until a user properly assigns it.
  • There are Opportunity before and after insert triggers. None of them touch this field. 
  • I have replicated the same issue with a text field. 
  • I haven't done any investigation outside of the opportunity object, ie. Account or Contact. I might try later today if i have time.



My current work around is i added a field to another custom object we use to set certain static variables depending on the deal type. Then in the before insert trigger i set the field to whatever the value is. Not a great solution as the default is in 4 different areas which will all need to be updated if it were to change.


I'm not able to reproduce - it worked fine for me.  If you can't resolve it, I recommend filing a case with support.