function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GordymanLGGordymanLG 

Eclipse and Force.com IDE on Windows 7 64-bit - works once then fails

I know there is are issues surrounding the use of Eclipse and the Force.com IDE on Windows 7 64-bit.  Here's what I've done and what I'm experiencing.

1. Uuninstalled the 64-bit JRE and installed the 32-bit version from the Sun website.

2. Installed Ganymede version of Eclipse from the Eclipse.org website

3. Followed the wiki instructions for installing the force.com IDE through the Eclipse software updates path.

Everything seems to install just fine.  I am able to create a Force.com project and download Apex components from my org and edit some of my triggers.

Then the trouble begins.  I close Eclipse and restart.  It is as if I never installed the Force.com IDE.  It does not show up in Perspectives or in New Project -> Other.  When I go to Help->Software Updates, Force.com IDE does show up as installed software.

Anyone have any suggestions to make this work on the 64-bit Windows 7 environment? 

I am considering "buying" a new laptop to complete my project.  Fortunately I have a Windows 7 upgrade license available.  I'm hoping to reinstall Windows 7 32-bit on this new machine over the 64-bit version (which is all that seems to come preloaded on anything anymore).  Does anyone have any experience with this configuration?

Thanks.

Tran ManTran Man

We are set to release a new version of the Force.com IDE that can run on Eclipse 3.5 on Monday, April 19th.  I just upgraded to Windows 7x64 this week and will be waiting for Monday to install Eclipse 3.5 + Force.com IDE.

GordymanLGGordymanLG

Awesomwe!!!!  This is by far the best answer I have gotten from anyone recently on any issue.  I just went out and bought another notebook to reimage as windows 7 32-bit, just so I could run the Force.com IDE for a Production deployment.  Hope they'll take it back :-)

Is this a general release or a developer-beta-only-etc.?  In either, case I would sorely appreciate getting it ASAP.  Any gotchas like 'Spring 10 only' or stack limitations?  Are there any specifications/hints for what the new IDE will include in the public domain?  Or is this a 'get the darn thing to work on Win7 64" kind of an effort?

Thanks in advance for answering any or all of my burning questions.

GordymanLG2GordymanLG2

Oh oh!  Just think there is still an issue.  Eclipse 3.5 isn't officially supported on Windows 7 64-bit - there are library issues.  I hope the use of the 32-bit version of the Java engine will allow this to work with the updated Force.com IDE plug-in.  I tried it with the 3.4.4 version of Eclipse and it did not work.  I guess we'll just have to see.

Did you get the impression that there is a combination of Java, Eclipse 3.5 and Force.com IDE that will work in Windows 7 64-bit?

Thanks.

VictorSVictorS

Gordyman, I suspect your problems may have stemmed from uninstalling JRE x64 - a 64-bit Windows OS should have both (from my experience).

I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 x64 on my work PC, then installed:

• JDK 6u19 x32 (by default installs into 'Program Files (x86)' folder)
  • JDK 6u19 x64 (by default installs into 'Program Files' folder)
  • Eclipse Classic 3.4.2 (and by 'installed' I mean extracted the 'eclipse' folder from the downloaded zip into 'Program Files (x86)')
  • Force.com IDE (by following the tutorial for Eclipse 3.4.2)

The same setup has existed quite well on my home PC for months without any problems. If it matters, both PCs have Intel CPUs.

After Force.com IDE v.18 came out, I deleted the old Eclipse folder; downloaded Eclipse Classic 3.5.2 x64; and this time extracted it into 'Program Files' instead of 'Program Files (x86)'. And then, of course, installed the Force.com IDE.

The odd thing is that I don't see a link to the x64 version on the main pages anymore, so here it is: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.5.2-201002111343/eclipse-SDK-3.5.2-win32-x86_64.zip

Not sure why that link disappeared, but it can be found through here: http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/

GordymanLG2GordymanLG2

Victor,

Thanks.  I'll give this a try.

I re-purposed another machine and installed Win7 32-bit, which seems to work OK.

But I really want this to work on my Win7 64-bit environments, so I'm going to try this methodology and will report back.

I really wish that SFDC themselves would work with Developers to provide detailed support information for key tools like this, so we all did not have to work our way through this stuff individually.

GordymanLG2GordymanLG2

In order to successfully install the latest versions of Eclipse and the Force.com IDE here are the steps I took.  This is a compendium of a number of posts that seemed to work successfully for me on two separate Windows 7 64-bit machines:

1.  Using Control Panel, delete anything that remotely looks like Java (e.g. JRE).

2. Go to the Oraccle/Sun website at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp

• Download and install the 32-bit version of the JDK 6u20 by selecting 'Windows' from the Platform dropdown.  By default installs into 'Program Files (x86)' folder)
  • Download and install the 32-bit version of the JDK 6u20 by selecting 'Windows x64' from the Platform dropdown.  By default installs into 'Program Files' folder)
  •  

3. Download and install Eclipse 3.5.2 from http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.5.2-201002111343/eclipse-SDK-3.5.2-win32-x86_64.zip.  I had to extract the files into c:/, which created the folder 'c:/eclipse' in order to successfully install.  I could not install into the '/Program Files' or '/Program Files (x86)' subdirectories.

4.  Before going onto the Force.com IDE installation, copy the file 'org.apache.log4j_1.2.13.v200806030600.jar' into the 'c:/eclipse/plugins/' subdirectory.  I obtained this file from the 3.4.2 or 3.4.4 release of Eclipse.  Without this file I received installations errors.

5.  Follow the instructions found at http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/Force.com_IDE_Installation_for_Eclipse_3.5 to install the Force.com IDE.

I have experienced no issues with the installations after following these steps.

Good Luck! 

GordymanLG

VictorSVictorS

Regarding #2: your second download should be of the 64-bit variety.

Regarding #3: yes, by default Windows tries to restrict access to both Program Files folders as well as other system folders. I just had my installation configured to give me full access to them - good catch.

Regarding #4: whenever I downloaded the 'Classic' flavor of Eclipse, I haven't needed anything that wasn't already bundled with it; however when trying to install the Force.com IDE on another flavor (e.g. 'For Java Developers'), I did run into the missing plugin issues. The 'Classic' can be recognized by the 'SDK' in its file name, as in the link above.

GordymanLG2GordymanLG2

Thanks for the catch on #2. Cut and paste without the edit, although the URL and platform designation was correct :-)

Should have thought of the permissions issue, but I usually don't like to mess with those System Folder permissions; weird things have happened to me in the past.  And a completely isolated Eclipse directory is sorta nice in a way, since it really doesn't conform to Windows conventions anyway (e.g. no Registry use, etc.).

As for Eclipse load, I spent enough time just getting it to work; don't need to know the deep dark answers of why in this particular case.  Now onto something more profitable, like real work 4 $$.  Thanks for your help and insight.

GordyG aka GordymanLG2

Sales_force_successSales_force_success

I have couple of questions....

1.  Eclipse 3.5.2 is currently unavailable....so which eclipse do we need to download from this link http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

2. Also which new file do we need to copy for this to work...

Before going onto the Force.com IDE installation, copy the file 'org.apache.log4j_1.2.13.v200806030600.jar' into the 'c:/eclipse/plugins/' subdirectory. I obtained this file from the 3.4.2 or 3.4.4 release of Eclipse. Without this file I received installations errors.

3. Also I belive rest of the steps will remain same for installing Force.com IDE.

Thanks for any updates.

doubleminusdoubleminus

Sales_force_success wrote:

I have couple of questions....

1.  Eclipse 3.5.2 is currently unavailable....so which eclipse do we need to download from this link http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

2. Also which new file do we need to copy for this to work...

Before going onto the Force.com IDE installation, copy the file 'org.apache.log4j_1.2.13.v200806030600.jar' into the 'c:/eclipse/plugins/' subdirectory. I obtained this file from the 3.4.2 or 3.4.4 release of Eclipse. Without this file I received installations errors.

3. Also I belive rest of the steps will remain same for installing Force.com IDE.

Thanks for any updates.

Go here for Eclipse 3.5.2: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/galileo/sr2 (look for Eclipse Classic - Windows 64-bit is there).

I'm not sure about your other questions. I'm going to have to give it all a try myself. Eclipse 3.5.2 64-bit with Force.com IDE is just not working for me as of now...

kannakanna

Hi,

How to install Force.Com IDE (eclipse) in Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit) OS please inform me ASAP.

Thanks

Prasad N RPrasad N R
I am trying this link out https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.eclipse.meta/eclipse/ide_install.htm to install Force.com plugin. I have installed Eclipse Neon with JDK and JRE. Earlier, Eclipse was crashing. After browsing a lot on the net, I added --add-modules=java.se.ee to eclipse.ini file. Now, it is opening. But, as soon as I complete step 12, Eclipse crashes. I really hope SalesForce releases something like Android Studio or at least maintains some documentation on commonly observed issues.
macks bromacks bro
Windows 7 is the very most popular software which is used the operating system. It is released in back July 2009. Those people who have a problem with their current running windows 7 in the system. When we want to repair or reinstall windows then we need have windows 7 product key or serial key. Check out https://www.freeproductkey.com/2017/08/windows-7-product-key.html for more info.