function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
twiq90twiq90 

"No such field" in Apex Data Loader

I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem and if so, if there is a solution or explanation.  I'm using the Apex Data Loader to export data from my org. In Step 3, "Edit your query" a few fields are not listed in the box under "Choose the query fields below."  When I manually type them into the query, a dialog box with the error, "No such field XXX on entity YY" pops up.  Some of the fields that this is happening with are hidden, but some of them are not.  I am a sys admin.  I double-checked the object and these fields do indeed exist in them in the org that I've logged into.  Can anyone explain this to me?  Thanks.

*werewolf**werewolf*

Check the field level security on the fields in question; make sure they are in fact visible for the profile you're logging in as.  Also make sure you're actually entering the API names of these fields, like Field__c.  Tools like the Force.com Explorer can help you have a look at your data model from the API point of view.

twiq90twiq90

Thanks for the advice.  As I mentioned, some of the fields have their field-level security set as hidden, and one is "Editable".  When I try to look at the fields in Apex Explorer 8.0, the hidden fields of couse do not show up.  I can query for the editable field and get a result.  By the way, the editable field is of type checkbox with and the field has a long name (41 characters), in case that matters.  I also double-checked the API names.  They ones that I am using are correct.  Also, they are not showing up in the list of fields for that object, so it seems like the Apex Data Loader is not reading them either.

*werewolf**werewolf*

Well if those fields are not set to visible, then for your profile, they don't exist.  They won't show up anywhere, including the API.  So you'd best set those fields to visible for your profile if you intend to use them.

twiq90twiq90

You're right.  I logged on as a sys admin and then changed the field accessibility to "Visible."  Then I logged out of Apex Data Loader and when I  logged back in the field was there.

I still get the "No such field" message for the other field that I described above.  It was always visible, and I can choose it for my query, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this message.

*werewolf**werewolf*

Well, for that other field, make sure you've got the name right.

twiq90twiq90

Yes, the name's right (I used copy/paste), field visibility is editable for sys admins and I'm a sys admin in that org.  The field is available to check in the Apex Data Loader, but I still get the message, "No such field XXX on entity YYY."  Note that the field name is truncated in the error message for some reason.  Does the Apex Data Loader have limits on field lengths?

*werewolf**werewolf*

The truncation certainly sounds odd.  Field names in general are limited to 80 chars.  I don't remember ever hitting a limit less than that with the data loader (but then I don't usually make field names that are quite that long).

praveen rayala 7praveen rayala 7
Hi,
i am facing the same kind of issue 
@werewolf did you got the  solution for this?