function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
calvin_nrcalvin_nr 

Customization of a Salesforce Community and chatter tags in VF page in a force.com site

Hi,

As you may know Salesforce released a new product recently which is based on Chatter. The out of the box product looks great but I have seen some demos where the uers have made advance customizations on the community pages. They have also changed the main chatter pages and added some sections to it.

How do we customize existing pages on a community. I have experience building new pages from scratch. Does anybody have any experience customizing communities using HTML/CSS?

Another question is we would need to use a force.com site to host the custom pages. How do we use chatter tags in Visualforce since the documentation says most chatter tags do not work with VF pages which are part of a force.com site?

Thanks!

Mohith Kumar ShrivastavaMohith Kumar Shrivastava

http://help.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_communities_implementation.pdf

Please refer the above guide and there are sections in which clear explanation is provided of how to link communities to force.com sites and create Visualforce pages with HTML5/CSS3.

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/chatterapi/index.htm

There are chatter REST API's and ConnectAPI's provided by salesforce where you can use this to pull data related to chatter and display on the visualforce .

Hope this will help you!

calvin_nrcalvin_nr

Hi Mohit.

Thanks for the reply. I had reviewed that document before posting my question here. The document gives only a very high level description of how force.com sites could be used and does not go into specifics of how to override the chatter page for example. I am aware of how to link a force.com site to my community. In the past I have built custom Visualforce pages but I'd like to know how can I customize existing standard pages like the chatter page or if this is even possible and whether I need to implement the whole page in Visualforce instead.

I was hoping to see if anybody has worked on such a customization recently so that I could get an idea of how to proceed.

Thanks,
Calvin

Mohith Kumar ShrivastavaMohith Kumar Shrivastava

There are small provisions to add header ,footer ,etc as it was in portal  eralier and complete customization is not possible without Visualforce .Thats my understanding on this.

calvin_nr wrote:

Hi Mohit.

Thanks for the reply. I had reviewed that document before posting my question here. The document gives only a very high level description of how force.com sites could be used and does not go into specifics of how to override the chatter page for example. I am aware of how to link a force.com site to my community. In the past I have built custom Visualforce pages but I'd like to know how can I customize existing standard pages like the chatter page or if this is even possible and whether I need to implement the whole page in Visualforce instead.

I was hoping to see if anybody has worked on such a customization recently so that I could get an idea of how to proceed.

Thanks,
Calvin

manish singh 185manish singh 185
Hi Calvin,

Have you got solution for this?

Thanks,
Manish