function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
certi_vimalcerti_vimal 

Application Launchers in Menu-driven format

Hi,

My Customer has a Siebel CRM and they want to move to Salesforce CRM.

In Siebel CRM, they have a tab infact a Menu called "Applications" in Menu Bar which when clicked shows Applications menu items enlisting several applications in this format :-

Applications

App 1

App 2

App 3

Sub App 3.1  

Sub App 3.2

App 4

App 5  

Sub App 5.1

Sub App 5.2  

Sub App 5.3

How can I show the same in Salesforce? Note that the applications are either SSO Enabled sites or non-SSO enabled sites. But that is not the issue. My problem is how should I show these on Salesforce?

I created quick custom links and grouped them into Home Page Components. But then I dont know how should I show Sub Apps item from the App group (example : App 3 group and its sub apps).

I can only think of Visualforce Page solution. But I dont know if it can show Menu-driven interface like I mentioned above? I can think of hierarchical representation but then the Sub Apps will be only till 2nd level so dont know if it can be useful. Also, if VF is the better solution, from where should I initiate the page? Messages and Alerts section? Is it possible to launch a VF page from there?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Vimal

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jake GmerekJake Gmerek

Just some quick thoughts to give you some ideas.

1.  A VF Page would work.  Using Apex:PanelBar would give you some interesting possibilities, and VF pages support a full range of HTML features so you could look at that as well.

2.  You can add a block of HTML to your home page.  I have not worked with this extensively, so I am not sure exactly how much HTML Functionality is available here, but you could try it.  You could even try an Iframe tag in the component to display a VF page.  I am not 100% sure if this will work for you, but that is probably what I would check out first.

All Answers

Jake GmerekJake Gmerek

Just some quick thoughts to give you some ideas.

1.  A VF Page would work.  Using Apex:PanelBar would give you some interesting possibilities, and VF pages support a full range of HTML features so you could look at that as well.

2.  You can add a block of HTML to your home page.  I have not worked with this extensively, so I am not sure exactly how much HTML Functionality is available here, but you could try it.  You could even try an Iframe tag in the component to display a VF page.  I am not 100% sure if this will work for you, but that is probably what I would check out first.

This was selected as the best answer
certi_vimalcerti_vimal

Thanks for the direction Jake. Panel Bar and Panel Bar Item components seem to resolve my problem.

However, can you also please advise as to how can I include application url links as my data for Panel Bar Items?

They actually are links pointing to different applications.

Thanks,

Vimal

Jake GmerekJake Gmerek

I'm glad that it will work for you.  Here is a tag to generate your links (google is my example):

<apex:outputLink value="http://www.google.com" target="_blank">Goto Google</apex:outputLink>

certi_vimalcerti_vimal

Thanks a lot Jake.

It worked!

May be this is last time I will bug you  ;)

Can I insert this VF page or atleast initiate it from "Messages and Alerts" section? Or may be let say if it is not possible, can I create a Home Page Component and display it on Navigation Panel? From there the user will click on it and show the Visualforce Page.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Vimal

Jake GmerekJake Gmerek

You should be able to put a link to it in message and alerts.

<a href ="https://mysalesforceinstance.com/apex/myapexpage">Click Here For Application Menu</a>

I do not see why that would not work (with the appropriate changes to the URL).  

certi_vimalcerti_vimal

Yes Jake, I figured that out afterwards  :)

Only query probably to Customer is whether they want the whole page to span with the size of the Panels or want a percentage of size of panels to be shown?

Anyways, thanks for all the help. Really appreciated.

Thanks,

Vimal

Jake GmerekJake Gmerek

No problem!