function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
kevincarkevincar 

ANOTHER NEWBIE Q: Custom fields

Hi again all,

Again, I apologize if these seem like trite questions.

I'm trying to write a stand-alone java app (no web servers or such) that reads a couple of items from the salesforce.com site and writes the daily-items out to a plain text file. 

Another associate of mine added the custom fields, and they appear on both the download-WSDL xml file, AND the salesforce web pages.

I am hand-coding the "quickstart.jar" object class definition java files to include the custom fields, but I'm wondering now if this is a good practice, as it appears that I cannot access custom fields even though the related class files (in my case, Contact and _case) throw exceptions whenever I try to access custom objects in my SELECT statements.

I know it's a lot to ask without showing code, but is there some crucial step I'm missing? because I'm sure the SOAP-related stuff is correct in my code (I know about the __c variables and the get / set member-access functions and such).

I know this is sketchy, but thanks for any help.

KC

adamgadamg

Hi Kevin:

If I am understanding your question correctly, you are re coding the Axis proxies included in the quickstart sample, which is not nessesary (and quite scary!)

Instead, you want to regenerate the proxies based on your organization's WSDL; instructions on how to do this are in the documentation.  When you dot this, your new classes will automagically have all the custom field and objects included.

What IDE are you using?  There may be some shortcuts I can advise you on.

Adam

kevincarkevincar

Hi Adam,

Yup, that is indeed what I was doing.

I just went ahead and downloaded Axis and re-ran the WSDL file and everything was fine. 

Thanx for the reply!

Kevin