function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AlwaysThinkin.ax528AlwaysThinkin.ax528 

Workflow Email Alerts on Person Accounts

Is it possible to have a Workflow Email Alert on a Person Account?

The Workflow Rule based on Account fields must be attached to an Email Alert based on Account fields. The standard Person Account "Email" field is not available as one of the recipients for Email Alerts, so it seems that you cannot trigger an email to the Person Account with Workflow Rules

I suspect that the solution may be an Account trigger that sends an email that queries the Contact:Email field.

Thanks,

Luke C

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 

I configured a workaround by setting up a Workflow Field Update that copies the primary Email field (PersonEmail) to another email field. That other email field is available to the Workflow Email Alerts as a recipient. I hid the new field from everyone but Admins so that it's unobtrusive and set the update to track the original when IsNew or IsChanged to keep it accurate.

Works well enough if not ideal. 

All Answers

JamesWJamesW
I came across the same problem.  Is the only solution an account trigger?

I configured a workaround by setting up a Workflow Field Update that copies the primary Email field (PersonEmail) to another email field. That other email field is available to the Workflow Email Alerts as a recipient. I hid the new field from everyone but Admins so that it's unobtrusive and set the update to track the original when IsNew or IsChanged to keep it accurate.

Works well enough if not ideal. 

This was selected as the best answer
jhammondjhammond

Thanks Always Thinkin for the solution.  Worked well enough...

JK1972JK1972

I'm not sure I understand where you created the workflow for the field update that copies the personemail to another email. Can you paste the criteria in here for the workflow and then also the criteria for the workflwo/email alert?

Always ThinkinAlways Thinkin

Hi,

You have to create a custom email field which I called Copy of Email.

The first workflow, Copy Email, is done on Account and whenever a record is created or edited. The criteria are:

OR(ISCHANGED( PersonEmail ),ISNEW(), ISBLANK( Copy_of_Email__c ))

Then when you're creating an email alert on Accounts, you choose Email Field for Recipient Type and use Copy_of_Email__c as the Selected Recipient.