function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
vamsovamso 

version control for declarative functional changes in salesforce

Hi,

i have a doubt about version control system with salesforce. we can integrate any version control system with eclipse/force.com ide so we can control the apex and VF changes and we can deploy last known good development efforts.

my question is, can we do the same for declarative changes in salesforce??

Say i have created a validation rule, and  then tested. it is working fine. now i have chaged some thing else in that now it is not working properly after changes. can i revert it back using version control system.?

please clarify.

Thanks

VAMSO

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher

A lot of the declarative functionality (validation rules are included) are accessible via the Metadata API.  

Example:

<validationRules>
        <fullName>testValAPI</fullName>
        <active>true</active>
        <description>test</description>
        <errorConditionFormula>Name = &quot;testAPI&quot;</errorConditionFormula>
        <errorMessage>UGH!</errorMessage>
    </validationRules>

If you back up your Metadata before changing - that is how you can revert back.

-Andy

vamsovamso

Thanks a lot for your reply.

could you please also tell me what are NOT included.(coz you said most of them are included).

if there is any documentation or some detailed post in any blog please provide the referrence,

once again thanks a lot for the reply.

Thanks

VAMSO

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher

That's a LOT of documentation...that's publicly available for you to check out *smile*

Here's the link:  http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api_meta/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/meta_objects_intro.htm

-Andy