function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
YuckleYuckle 

Don't Run Workflow Rule on Creation

Is there a way to have a workflow rule that runs when a case record type is changed but not when it's created?

We have 2 queues.  Support and Tech Services.  Each has their own record type, process, etc.  If some changes the record type of an existing case, this means the case has been transferred from Support to Tech Services (or vice versa).  When this happens we want to always change the owner to new the queue and always set the status to 02-Transferred.  This will cause the transferred case to go thru our assignment process for the new department.  I have written the Workflow rules and field updates for this and they do the job, except they also set the status to 02-Transferred on case creation.  So, I need  way to make the workflow rule evaluate to false if the case is just being created.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
EnthEnth

Use the IsNew function (ensuring you've set the Rule Criteria to "formula evaluates to true") to check if you have a new record when defining your workflow rule.

All Answers

EnthEnth

Use the IsNew function (ensuring you've set the Rule Criteria to "formula evaluates to true") to check if you have a new record when defining your workflow rule.

This was selected as the best answer
YuckleYuckle

Ok.  Now how to I check if recordType has been changed.  SF won't allow me to use $RecordType.Name in ISCHANGED

EnthEnth

True but you can use ISCHANGED on the RecordTypeId.

If you need to know which value it has been set to then the RecordTypeId values will be the same for your live org and any sandboxes created from it. Its no good if you're building an ISV application or AppExchange component, but fine for an individual customer.

If you're unsure what you're recordtypeid values are for each record type select each object Record Type Label definition and it will appear in the browser URL. HTH