function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ricardo OrtegaRicardo Ortega 

Changing Junction Object name

I have a junction object with 2 master detail relationships, one to contacts and another one to a custom object named program. I currently have 2  fields, the contact field and the porgram field. I am using workforce rules to avoid duplicates. What I want to know is that, apparently the junction object has to have a name, whether filled manually or numeric.

Is there a way that when i choose the contact and the program, autofill the name with a default value? Problem is, when a duplicate is created, it says "the following duplicate already exists: 12" .  If I let the user fill out a random name and then set a field update to change the name, it just feels wrong. 

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello Ricardo,

I understand that you wish to  auto fill the field values without duplicates. You may use the data type Autonumber for these fields. Auto number automatically assigns a unique number to each record. The maximum length of any auto-number field is 30 characters, 20 of which are reserved for prefix or suffix text.

Please let me know if i misunderstood your requirement.

Ricardo OrtegaRicardo Ortega

No, I have 3 fields in my page. The contact lookup field, the program lookup field, and the Name. I want to avoid to set the name to an autonumeric value. So I want that when both the contact and the program are selected, the Name will fill before insert.

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Ok, so what should be in the Name field, is it the contact name? If so then create a formula field "Name" on junction object with return type text which will have the value of the contact name field.