function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kevin R.ax1520Kevin R.ax1520 

Custom Print Template for Record Detail Page

Is it possible to create a print template for a record detail page? I have a custom object and whenever a user prints, I'd like to it to print to a format that I setup - complete with company logo, record information and maybe an attached word page. If it's possible, would someone walk me through how to set it up?

Jia HuJia Hu
For your idea,
1. you can add a Custom Button, called 'Print' on the top of the detail page
2. link this Print Button to a VF page
3. in the VF page, define your print template, also can render as a PDF format

Then when the user want to print, they can click the button and print in the pop-up window.
Kevin R.ax1520Kevin R.ax1520

Jia,

Thanks so much for this info!! It sounds like exactly what I want. Unfortunately I'm a new administrator with no VF experience. Would you have a moment to explain the steps to this?

Bing MaletzBing Maletz

Hi Kevin,

I just went through your path, so I can share with you some of my experiences.

If you want to create PDF fille, the article below has detailed instruction

http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Creating_Professional_PDF_Documents_with_CSS_and_Visualforce

This  requires both Visualforce and Apex development.

Although it is not too difficult to write simple VF and APEX,  the effort to write Salesfoce testing script is a bit overwhelming for a new starter.

If you want to avoid the above development effort, you may consider to use Appexchange Apps (e.g. S-Docs, Conga composer)

I personally recommend you to try S-Docs free edition first( including two free templates for unlimited users and time) to get your first document delivered, then you can spend  time to dig into VF and Apex.

Bing

Jia HuJia Hu
There is a full example, wish it can help you,
http://wiki.developerforce.com/page/Visualforce_Quote2PDF