function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GrantSchenckGrantSchenck 

Issue with CTI Adapter and msxml6.dll

Hi,

We have a SF adapter we developed several years ago and maintain and update periodically.

I previously built our adapter and an MSI setup using Visual Studio running on a Server 2003 machine.

I'm not building the same adapter and setup still using VS but on a server 2008 R2 64 bit machine.  When I try to build my setup it won't let me due to this error:

'msxml6.dll' should be excluded because its source file 'c:\windows\syswow64\msxml6.dll' is under Windows System File Protection. C:\Depot\Source\ProServices\ShoreTelCTIAdapter_3\src\ShoreTelCTIAdapterSetup\ShoreTelCTIAdapterSetup.vdproj STSFCCSetup

OK, I figured, I'll do what MS tells me so I excluded it from the build.  I then tested the setup on a Win 7 client where it installed and ran fine.

HOWEVER, when a customer running XP install it and then tries to run it they get:

Error: Unable to start XML SubSystem.  Please Contact your Salesforce.com Administrator to rectify this issue.

That error per the SF FAQs is caused by not installing or registering msxml6.dll.

So, I'm not caught in a catch-22.  VS won't let me include it in my setup but at least XP seems to require that I do include it.

What's a developer to do?  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

*werewolf**werewolf*

Do you also have this problem if you try to run the build on a regular Win7 machine?

GrantSchenckGrantSchenck

I just tried and yes, I get the same error when I try to build on my Win 7 machine.

Specifically it wants me toexclude msxml6.dll because the source is under Windows System File Protection.

I guess a key question is has anyone successfully build a setup program using Visual Studio 2008 on either Win 7 or Server 2008?

Thanks