function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
selvaa89selvaa89 

Streaming API for chatter

I am developing a chrome extension which uses chatter api. The extension will authenticate the user using oauth. Fom there on, if someone comments on the user's post, or if some one comments on the post liked by user, or if someone comments on the post which the user follows, chrome extension has to display desktop notification. I thought of using streamin API.

But the limits are looks constraining. And I am not sure whether this is possible using streaming api. Or is there any better approach for doing this?

AmitSahuAmitSahu
Streaming API is the one you are looking for. By the way what is the hurdle you are getting ?
selvaa89selvaa89

But the limit for streaming api looks too constraining. Will it work for a chrme extension! Can you point me or provide an example for doing this with a soql query?

JitendraJitendra

Hi,

Unfortunately, The streaming API will not work here. The streaming API is for the Salesforce plateform however your code is going to run on local system using chrome and therefore the logic must be written there.

Check the design and API specification (it's still a draft) or check the source from this webpage for a simple example: It's mainly a call to window.webkitNotifications.createNotification.

If you want a more robust example (you're trying to create your own Google Chrome's extension, and would like to know how to deal with permissions, local storage and such), check out Gmail Notifier Extension: download the crx file instead of installing it, unzip it and read its source code.

If you want to go through the Streaming API example, then please go through this:

http://shivasoft.in/blog/others/tips/streaming-api-using-jquery-salesforce/

md1md1

And here's the idea for SF to implement Push Topics for Chatter.

Bruce Yue -- SF ArchitectBruce Yue -- SF Architect

FeedItem' is not supported in the Streaming API