function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Dave CampbellDave Campbell 

Strange problem with Axis

I'm working on an integration with SForce.  Part of this is unit testing with JUnit.

Before I go any further, I'm running the j2sdk 1.4.2_02.  I recently downloaded and built the enterprise and partner objects for my test installation.  I ran the quickstart application and all went very well.

I'm able to build apps that talk to my SForce installation just fine.  However, when I try to run my JUnit tests, I get:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at org.apache.axis.client.Service.getAxisClient(Service.java:143)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Service.(Service.java:152)
        at com.sforce.soap.enterprise.SforceServiceLocator.(SforceServiceLocator.java:10)
        at com.adc.sar.crm.alertNotificationManager.SimpleLogin.sforceLogin(SimpleLogin.java:50)
        at com.adc.sar.crm.alertNotificationManager.SimpleLogin.(SimpleLogin.java:40)
        at com.adc.sar.crm.alertNotificationManager.SimpleLoginTest.(SimpleLoginTest.java:33)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:274)
        at junit.framework.TestSuite.createTest(TestSuite.java:135)
        at junit.framework.TestSuite.addTestMethod(TestSuite.java:114)
        at junit.framework.TestSuite.(TestSuite.java:75)
        at com.adc.sar.crm.alertNotificationManager.SimpleLoginTest.suite(SimpleLoginTest.java:45)
        at sun.reflectnull
.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
        at junit.runner.BaseTestRunner.getTest(BaseTestRunner.java:111)
        at junit.swingui.TestRunner.runSuite(TestRunner.java:591)
        at junit.swingui.TestRunner$9.actionPerformed(TestRunner.java:283)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1786)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1839)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:245)
        at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5100)
        at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:4897)
        at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1569)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3615)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1627)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3477)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3483)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3198)
        at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3128)
        at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1613)
        at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1606)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3477)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:456)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:151)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:145)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:137)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:532)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:272)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:414)
        at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:76)
        at org.apache.axis.handlers.BasicHandler.(BasicHandler.java:81)
        ... 44 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:416)
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:525)
        ... 48 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger does not implement Log
        at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:412)
        ... 49 more

I'm using Axis 1.1, which is just re-downloaded.  I'm using JUnit 3.8.1.

I've done quite a few other JUnit tests (not involving SForce) and they work fine.

I'm new to Axis, so I'm wondering if someone can point me to a relatively painless way to get Axis to work correctly in this situation.  It looks like the log factory in Axis completely blew up, based on the source tracing I did.

DevAngelDevAngel

Yikes,

I'll have to defer to some of the Java geniuses on this board. 

Anybody have experience with JUnit and Axis, specifically with sforce?

Have you certified/tested with other SOAP toolkits?  I'm only using Axis because it came "recommended"  (bundled) in the various download kits, etc.

Has anyone tested/certified with kits from SUN (JWSDP?), etc.  I'm more than happy to ditch Axis at this point, but I don't want to (don't have time to) venture into uncharted/untested waters right now.

I'd really appreciate a list of tested toolkits if it's available.

Thanks!

zakzak
it looks like you've got a version mismatch on log4j, make sure your test config is not loading an old log4j version (or commons-logging). I've done axis 1.1 / JUnit / Sforce code without any problems.

Cheers
Simon

This turns out to be a problem between JUnit 3.8.1 and Commons Logging.

There is a solution in the Axis developer's guide.  If you look at the downloadable version (different from the on-line version), it's mentioned in the table of contents.