function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Venk_ModelMetriVenk_ModelMetri 

Signed Applets & SControls

Our client has a requirement to use SControls (with Applets embedded). Lets say that we create a Java Applet (and sign it), can we deploy a huge jar file (Containing the Java custom implementation with the axis libraries that it needs to run) ?

Any documentation on how to Sign applets would be appreciated.

Do we have any sample or tutorial to help us?

Thank You

Venk

JaanekJaanek
I'm not aware of any tutorial but the google can give you many links to sign the applets. For example this one: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/rsa_signing.html

Also, in our experience we couldn't get axis client to work within a signed applet without modifying the client side java runtime security permissions. Later we just dropped this idea & used wingfoot soap library instead of axis. It's a lot lightweight & doesn't use java features that make axis fail inside restricted java sandbox.

/Jaanek

I'm sure there is a way to do this. If anyone can help me with some sample code or examples, that would be very helpful. I will compile this info and create some shareware kinda source to help other people trying to accomplish this.

Can someone please help with this? Any documentation or Samples on Signed Java Applets using Scontrols?
onthebeachonthebeach
I've never tried using the axis libraries in a signed applet, but I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Signed applets can open any file on a hard drive, open a socket with any host, etc. I think it would just be a matter of including the right libraries, building the manifest and jarring.

Remember, the process for signing applets for IE is completely different from non-IE broswers (or used to be). IE would only read .cab files, not .jar. Perphaps someone can post a reply if this has changed.

onthebeach