function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
xnopxnop 

Can't login with quickstart

OK, I read the readme and have followed it. When I select option 1 on the menu (login), I get the following error message:

C:\Salesforce-0.54\quickstart>quickstart
1. Login
2. Get Accounts
3. Update Accounts
Enter a menu option: 1
User name: name@domain.suffix
Password: *****
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at org.apache.axis.handlers.BasicHandler.(BasicHandler.java:81)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Service.getAxisClient(Service.java:143)
        at org.apache.axis.client.Service.(Service.java:152)
        at com.sforce.soap.enterprise.SforceServiceLocator.(SforceServiceLocator.java:10)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.quickstart.doLogin(quickstart.java:186)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.quickstart.mainLoop(quickstart.java:61)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.quickstart.(quickstart.java:34)
        at com.salesforce.quickstart.quickstart.main(quickstart.java:30)
Caused by: org.apache.commons.discovery.DiscoveryException: No implementation defined for org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.ClassUtils.verifyAncestory(ClassUtils.java:176)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.verifyAncestory(SPInterface.java:201)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.SPInterface.newInstance(SPInterface.java:195)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverClass.newInstance(DiscoverClass.java:579)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.java:418)
        at org.apache.commons.discovery.tools.DiscoverSingleton.find(DiscoverSingleton.java:378)
        at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory$1.run(LogFactory.java:84
)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.getLogFactory(LogFactory.java:80)
        at org.apache.axis.components.logger.LogFactory.(LogFactory.java72)
        ... 8 more

C:\Salesforce-0.54\quickstart>

SuperfellSuperfell
I think you're missing the log4j jar from the classpath.
xnopxnop
Thank you Simon. The file, log4j.jar, isn't included in QuickStart5_0.zip. Where may I obtain it?
SuperfellSuperfell
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/download.html
xnopxnop
Thanks. I downloaded the 1.2.9 version and set my CLASSPATH to include this jar. I was able to run an axis demo app (java examples.lf5.InitUsingXMLPropertiesFile.InitUsingXMLPropertiesFile). I then tried to run quickstart (java -jar quickstart.jar quickstart) from the same shell and still had the failure as mentioned before.

My CLASSPATH is: C:\axis\logging\logging-log4j-1.2.9\dist\lib\log4j-1.2.9.jar;.;C:\axis\logging\logging-log4j-1.2.9\dis
t\classes
SuperfellSuperfell
do you have commons logging in your classpath as well ? (commons-logging.jar)
adamgadamg
If you struggling with classpath issues, you may want to try the unified installer w/Eclipse that is available at sandbox.sforce.com.
xnopxnop
Thank you adamG for the tip. I will use this environment.
DevAngelDevAngel

Hi xnop,

There is a new version of the quickstart available at

http://sandbox.sforce.com/media/QuickStart5_0.zip.  This will be posted to the toolkits section in a day or two.

Sorry for the error.

Boulder MikeBoulder Mike

Did you ever solve the problem?  I'm having exactly the same trouble.

I've downloaded the SForce Eclipse package and from within Eclipse, the samples run fine.

I've also downloaded Log4j.jar and added it to my classpath, but still no luck.  Someone mentioned "commons-logging", but apparently that's not included with Log4j, so I'm unsure where to go next.

Anyone else have any ideas?  The errors I'm throwing are exactly the same as the top message in this post.

Michael

SuperfellSuperfell
Commons Logging in an apache project. If its working fine from eclipse, then its on your machine somewhere, look at the list of jars in the project settings.