function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ARUNBLIKESCLOUDARUNBLIKESCLOUD 

DEV 501 - Salesforce.com Certified Force.com Advanced Developer : Knowledge sharing thread

Folks,

I got my DEV 401 few months back. I am now planning to take up the DEV 501 exam. Though I've been working in Visualforce & apex for quite sometime, I don't have a clue on what is being tested in DEV 501. Couple of people to whom I have spoken recently are also in the same state. 

Hence, I am starting this thread so that people who have taken 501 atleast once, can share with us their experience and guide/hint us on the reference materials/topics that matter.

Lets help each other !!!

P.S: I also wanted to declare that this thread is not meant to post the exam questions as it will violate salesforce.com certification rights. This thread is solely meant to share the certification exam experiences and references.

Just pinging in to check if I am lucky to find anyone who has written 501.

Thanks.

Hello folks,

I'm done with this exam. I was able to crack down the test :-) .... my 2 cents for passing this test - study the apex & vf reference guides fully.Thats it.Good luck to the test takers.

Thanks.

neerureddyneerureddy

Hi, I would like to take DEV401 next week.Could you help me how the questions will be? could you share experiences, suggessions pls. I appreciate the help

Thanks,

Neeru.

Cool_DevloperCool_Devloper

Guys,

I gave the 501 sometime back but could not clear it :(

The worst part was that there was no analysis/score given which would have helped me understand where I went wrong!

Did anyone faced the same problem?

Cool_D 

sean*harrisonsean*harrison

> The worst part was that there was no analysis/score given which would have helped me understand where I went wrong!

Yes, that is very disorienting and discouraging. One doesn't know if they missed a questions across-the-board or whether they were all on the same topic.   Even if they gave the general topic of each question without sharing the question text would be better than nothing.

Tarun J.Tarun J.

Hi,

I have completed my DEV 501 exam last week and I found that around 15 questions were tricky while I was able to made rest questions easily. 

For preparation I just read two PDF:

Force.com Apex Code Developer’s Guide

Visualforce Developer’s Guide

Download the latest version of these books and read them thoroughly. It will surely leads you to crack the exam.

Thanks,

-TK

vagishvagish

Hi Tarun,

Congratulations! I want to know, did you clear all three phases of dev 501 certification? or you have cleared 1st phase. Please give some pointers about rest two phases if you have dmpleted 501, it would be really helpful.

Balu_devBalu_dev

Hi,

Good, that you tried for 501 exam..Can you share some of your experience about exam?

What are the main focus areas required to clear exam or to just pass it ?

Thanks,

Rahul BorgaonkarRahul Borgaonkar

Hi Tarun,

I read your old reply about Dev 501 so thought of clarifying this with you? I am reading both apex and visualforce guide but not concetrating on reference chapters from both guides. Do you think it should be enough to pass the first stage of DEV501?

Thanks,

Rahul

sukumarsukumar

In latest study guide (spring13), I found 2 work books one for apex and another one for visual force. But that two are different from the books which you provided your post.

I am confused because which books I have to study. Please help me . I am planning to take DEV501 exam.

Thanks in advance.

sean*harrisonsean*harrison

@sukumar, if you are reviewing the latest study guide, use the books they reference there. The content changes constantly so you always want to use the latest materials. Since the two workbooks appear to cover the same material as the old links you should be good to go.

sukumarsukumar
Hi ,

Thanks for your reply

I am a beginer and completed my DEV401 exam two weeks back and now I am preapring for DEV 501 exam.

If you have experience with DEV501 exam please help me for following question.

In both visual force and apex guides There are two chapters called reference. Please confirm that whether these two chapters also mandatory to prepare for DEV501 exam. Because all others chapters are covering the exam outline objectives.
Reference chapter has 338 pages while other chapters are 263 pages. I am bit scared to study those many pages (Total pages 601).

Please share me your exam experience and Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,

Sukumar Reddy | Software Programmer
Sukumar.mandem@pbsystems.com
C: +91-9493757230
PB Systems - Results. Delivered?.
Rahul BorgaonkarRahul Borgaonkar
You have to read/remember reference section too if you don't want to miss
any tricky questions. Also get good hands on with apex and visualforce
before appearing for DEV501. Read DEV501 related blogs of salesforce
experts for their experience. It will help.