function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ollie123ollie123 

Record type unavailable. Cannot find default record type of the appropriate type.

Record type unavailable Cannot find default record type of the appropriate type.

I am seeing this error when trying to Convert a lead. I have checked the profile for the current user, and the default record types are both Contacts and Accounts are accessible. (I have selected Do Not Create Opportunity, though there are no opportunity record types).

The docs were no help at all, no results in Google for the error. Does anyone know what the solution is?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
mscolbymscolby
I am having this same problem. I believe it has something to do with the profile permission, because it is letting me as an Admin convert a lead, but not my Agent profile. I have allowed Convert Lead permissions, as well as the ability to create accounts, contacts, and opportunities.

All Answers

mscolbymscolby
I am having this same problem. I believe it has something to do with the profile permission, because it is letting me as an Admin convert a lead, but not my Agent profile. I have allowed Convert Lead permissions, as well as the ability to create accounts, contacts, and opportunities.
This was selected as the best answer
ollie123ollie123
I'm signed in under an administrator account and still seeing the error. I've no idea how to fix it.
t anthonyt anthony

I had a very similar issue after migrating one org to another.

The convertLead() function seems to require a default record type for Contact, Account and Opportunity.  Since I migrated the profiles they did not have a default and there was only 1 record type available. 

I fixed by creating a second record type and then selecting the default. Afterward i disabled the second record type. Might be able to simply create a new profile. not sure why it would occur on the Admin profile... I verified by checking the users default record type options. Some where missing since there was only one record type. Seems logical that only one should work but after i created a second, reassigned the default and removed the second it worked ok again. Odd circumstance i suppose.

lauraecilauraeci

I just ran into this same error.  Can you elaborate on how to change the default record type?  

Thanks!  I can't convert any leads :(

absrivasabsrivas

Setup-->manage users--> Profile

Select the profile.

Go to

Record Type Settings: Click on the Edit link in interested object. Choose the default record type.

Jeetesh BahugunaJeetesh Bahuguna

profile Please go to the profile and check the record type section, there is a option for default record type for account, edit that and also choose a value for person account.

It will defiantly work if there is an issue please let me know. 

Paul Fischer 6Paul Fischer 6
If you have Person Accounts active in your org (but the record type isn't available to any user) and the Company field is blank on the lead you will get this error. I found that I had recently updating the naming convention of a lead record type, causing the workflow rule we have to populating lead company names with "Attach to Retail Store" to not fire. 

Hope that helps anyone in a similar situation.
Masahito AkashiMasahito Akashi
I just happend into this same error.  
my organization is enabled Parson Account, and not using Business Account.

I'll show how I was successful.
I've updated the Lead.Company in the blank, Before the execution of [Database.convertLead].
It was successful.

If this method help you of everyone, I am glad.
The CrewThe Crew
Please help.  I've tried everything.  We have a Person setup (as we're a B2C company).  I can't convert Leads to Contacts as I'm unable to set up a Person Account.  When I select "Choose Exisiting" it says "You are converting this lead to a business account. Please choose a person account." and when I select "Create New" it says "Unable to find default record type".  I can't work out how to set up a Person type Account.  I am the admin.  Thanks in advance
Jasmine Wilson 6Jasmine Wilson 6
I got this cannot find default record type error as well. 
The way I solved it was to go to the Profile, Account Reord type Defaults and configured the record type to match i.e for my example Business Accounts are linked to the company record type and Person Accounts are linked to a Person account record type.

User-added image
Henrique Souza Silva BustillosHenrique Souza Silva Bustillos
I got that problem recently, I solved it making sure that the Lead record Owner Profile has the permissions for converting leads to account (create accounts, create contacts and create opportunities) AND if it has default record types for Account.