function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jcnacjcnac 

removing picklist values in xml .object

Hi, I want to delete some of the picklist values of several fields on one of my objects. it seems that deleting the picklist values by deleting the tag in the .object file do not work. I am avoiding to do the deletion via the setup > create > objects > [object] > [field] screen then delete those picklist values one by one. Is there a way to do deletion of picklist values in "bulk" or is there a faster way? Thanks!
aalbertaalbert

After reading the Metadata API document section on Picklists, it does not appear you can delete picklist values through the Metadata api (ie saving the .object file in Eclipse or the Ant-based migration tool). "Note that picklist values cannot be deleted from a picklist that has been saved to your organization, since data rows might exist that would need to be interactively remapped."

ifijifij

Has this been resolved yet?

How can we use the migration tool effectively if we can't migrate changed values? Our org has upwards of 18 sandboxes and migrating our objects (even with a destructiveChanges.xml) the picklist values keep coming back. The only thing I've seen is to have someone go in and update every single sandbox to remvoe the values all at once before the changes get committed again.