function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mansi_KatMansi_Kat 

Migrating Profiles through Force.com IDE from one Environment to Another.

I am new to Salesforce and I am trying to migrate profiles from one environment to another, what is the best way to do so?

I know, we can do it through Force.com IDE but, when I try to deploy it to server it tells me deployment successful but I can't see the changes to the profile. Basically, I want to migrate or overwrite the field accessibility for a profile when I move it to different environment.

Ex: I have a Custom Read Only Profile in Dev Environment (it has field level security for a XYZ field as Read Only) and I want to migrate it to Test Environment (where field level security for XYZ field is set as Editable), when I migrate it I want it to overwrite the field accessibility for this profile in Test Environment to Read Only.

Currently, I have to do it manually by going into Salesforce and it is pretty time consuming, can anyone please suggest a better way to do it? I am not sure, if I am missing something. I have been struggling on this since last few days and I have still not been able to come up with a solution. Thanks!!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Mansi_KatMansi_Kat

Thanks Sureka,

Actually, I found the soultion. I was able to migrate it through IDE. In order to migrate field level security (FLS), you need to create a project  in IDE and include both the object and the profile metadata components. If you don't make these selections together you won't get the FLS settings. And, it  did worked for me.

All Answers

SurekaSureka

Hi,

As far as I know, Migrating profiles either through Eclipse or Ant tool will just create the corresponding profile.  You need to set the permissions manually.

Thanks

Sureka

Mansi_KatMansi_Kat

Thanks Sureka,

Actually, I found the soultion. I was able to migrate it through IDE. In order to migrate field level security (FLS), you need to create a project  in IDE and include both the object and the profile metadata components. If you don't make these selections together you won't get the FLS settings. And, it  did worked for me.

This was selected as the best answer