function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Radhika MRadhika M 

Difference between Customization and Configuration

Would you please give clarity on both of those.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Lalit Sharma CybageLalit Sharma Cybage

Configuration

•Configuration means providing a user defined values which will  enable a given feature or module to function.

•for example:  Email setting is an example of configuration.

•salesforce users can configure CRM application.   Marketing User can enable few tabs which are not available for   Customer support people. 

• Adding a new field to a given salesforce object is configuration.

• adding a new field which will use formula to perform some result is configuration

Customization

•any feature or functions which are not available as a part of application and the application needs to extend refers to customization.  

•despite you configured the things there are few actions which are not achievable and it results into adding some custom code, which results in Customization.

• Adding triggers on the object to perform some action is called customization

• Adding Apex Code which will generate a vCard from a given Contact is called Customization.

All Answers

Lalit Sharma CybageLalit Sharma Cybage

Configuration

•Configuration means providing a user defined values which will  enable a given feature or module to function.

•for example:  Email setting is an example of configuration.

•salesforce users can configure CRM application.   Marketing User can enable few tabs which are not available for   Customer support people. 

• Adding a new field to a given salesforce object is configuration.

• adding a new field which will use formula to perform some result is configuration

Customization

•any feature or functions which are not available as a part of application and the application needs to extend refers to customization.  

•despite you configured the things there are few actions which are not achievable and it results into adding some custom code, which results in Customization.

• Adding triggers on the object to perform some action is called customization

• Adding Apex Code which will generate a vCard from a given Contact is called Customization.

This was selected as the best answer
Radhika MRadhika M

Thank you.....

shibi priyadarshanshibi priyadarshan
Very Nice Explaination...
nrk naidunrk naidu
nice
Harshavardhan Reddy 19Harshavardhan Reddy 19
Perfect Explaination Radhika..
Ravi iBingRavi iBing
Hi,

Awesome explaination
Any in-depth pages to prepare a small practicle test? Practice makes me to understand perfectly.
Kate Hart 2Kate Hart 2
  I used to get confused about Customization and Configuration in CRM but the article about configuration vs customization (https://www.ergonized.com/blog/salesforce-configuration-vs-customization/)  covering this issue in detail helped me to understand it perfectly 
Nikhil Singh 69Nikhil Singh 69
To the point i must say Configuration refers to the pre-built features of an ERP system into one system and customization involves customizing the features in the system according to business needs. Read my article here https://www.railscarma.com/blog/the-future-of-ui-ux-design-trends-and-predictions/