function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TenaTena 

Large amounts of Data may cause to go over limit

I am looking at a custom object that will be associated to our Assets.  There will be many lines per asset and it totals 6+ million records in all.  This will take us over our data limit(Enterprise Edition).  They will want these items viewable on the pages for Assets and Accounts and to do reporting with the data.  This data is currently stored in a db that is not accessible outside the company.  What are some solutions?

Here are some options I see.

1)  Request more data and pay more $ for the extra storage

Is it really expensive? 

2)  Query the data from a different DB on the fly.

What are all the issues with this?  Security, limits.  Will this really work with reporting in SF?

3)???

That is all I have come up with so far.

Vinita_SFDCVinita_SFDC

Hello Tena,

Your suggestions are perfect, the only challenge is now to identify which of these option will cost you more:

1) For the first option of buying more storage space please reach out to Account Executive (AE) of your account and he/she will let you know the cost.

2) If you will store data in a different Db then you will have to integrate it and for security also you will have to buy cerificates (also the cost of integrating this another DB through development) and if you will use a paid app through appexchange that will also cost you.

I would suggest you first discuss with AE if buying storage space is under your budget then you can avoide the second option.

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Tena, 

One thing is sure, extending storage would be the last available option. 

If the records are not included in Salesforce then reporting and adding it to other objects would be almost impossible. 

To report on the records it would be better if a weekly or a daily (based on requirement) export will load account and assets records into your external App. 

It would also be better to make the records available through a UI in the external app in a New Tab, like a new tab which based on URL will open the External App where your external app will display queried results.

Hope it does make some sense in your scenario.  

Regards,

Ashish