function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
bkradminbkradmin 

Pulling Data from Webpage

I am a beginner admin, so this question may be way above my pay grade, but here goes: Is there any way, using a custom formula or button or some other non-code based tool, for me to get a field populated with a specific piece of data from a specific URL? For example, let's say I want to populate a "Billing City" field with the information I get from a URL. So I went to the URL, looked at the page source, and got this line of data which displays the city I want: "</span><br /><span itemprop="addressLocality">Toronto</span>". How do I instruct Salesforce to take that name; i.e. "Toronto", and put it in my field?

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi Bkradmin, 

Is the URL a general URL or your Intranet based?

Can you give more examples as to what all data you are looking for and on what query you will get the result value. 

Regards,

Ashish

bkradminbkradmin

Hi Ashish, 

It is a general URL; not intranet. 

An example would be a directory assistance lookup. Right now I created a simple button on our Accounts page that takes the Account's phone number performs a Reverse Lookup through a directory assitance website; the button just puts the phone number into the URL for the reverse search; nothing fancy. So now, suppose I want to have a button that says, "perform that lookup, and return the value of whatever city shows up in this line: "</span><br /><span itemprop="addressLocality">Toronto</span>" (in this case it would be "Toronto") to a specific field on the account page. 

That's the basic idea anyway. We would have a lot of uses for it, if it could work. 

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi BkrAdmin,

Can you share the URL link, not sure if that is possible but would like to see the functionality.

Regards,

Ashish

Ashish_SFDCAshish_SFDC

Hi BkrAdmin, 

Thanks a lot for sharing that link, directly (Declarative Functionality) I dont think it is possible to Integrate that URL into Salesforce and get the return value. 

However, I can think of the below options, 

1. You may try integrating the function by using Javascript to fetch the City and put in the Custom Field. 
  2. If any ways you can get the complete list of numbers and cities, you can add it in salesforce in a Custom object and have a Formula with Lookup function to fetch the City Internally. 
  3. Reach out to the Website's Support people and check with them if they have created a WSDL for their web service which can be used by Salesforce users. If they are Intrested to put their webservice to use: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/Content/sforce_api_quickstart_steps.htm should answer few basic questions. If we have that WSDL file provided by them we can easily put it in our Salesforce and use the functionality.

Regards,

Ashish

If your question is answered, please accept this post as Solution.