function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
geosowgeosow 

Classes and Triggers take over 2 minutes to save after managed package installation (using Eclipse)

I've been working in an org for almost 2 years.  They just installed a managed package; it's a large 100% native accounting application (I didn't want to put the name in this thread just yet).

Everything has been speedy.  However, after the installation, I've noticed that it now takes over 2 minutes to save triggers, classes and visualforce pages via Eclipse.  I have clients on the same CS12 instance and the performance is fine.  Has anyone experience a significant performance decrease in the ID after installing "FF" ?

All I'm doing is a save/build.  No unit tests or anything.  Just a save of small modifications to triggers and stuff.  

To troubleshoot, I re-created my project in Eclipse and it took over 15 minutes just to get the listing of items that I wanted to add to my project.  Any ideas?  Thanks,

George Sowards

www.RedPointSolutions.com

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
geosowgeosow

Here's what I got from SFDC support.  Big huge sucky bummer and no ETA:

Hey George,
  I have worked on similar issue.  Eclipse is very slow after installing FF package (include: saving, deploying or creating a new project) .  This will occur with any org that has large amount of classes. In your org, you have 2052 class.  This is a known issue and a fix is being created.  No ETA at this point that I can give.  Let me know if you have any question?

Thanks,
xxxx
Partner Developer Support- Tier 2
salesforce.com
(W)xxxx

All Answers

ca_petersonca_peterson

There is a known issue (interestingly enough it's not listed on the known issues site as of this post) where salesforce may cause execssive apex recompilation in certain situations (I'm not yet clear on what these situations are). I suspect this is related to salesforce bug 

W-1358391, and if that ends up being the case having salesforce support run a full apex recompilation on the org has been proposed to me as a temporary fix until the proper resolution is in place. You can also try the "Compile all classes" link under Setup > Develop > Apex Classes but this doesn't recompile triggers and tends to fail on orgs with large amounts of apex.

geosowgeosow

Here's what I got from SFDC support.  Big huge sucky bummer and no ETA:

Hey George,
  I have worked on similar issue.  Eclipse is very slow after installing FF package (include: saving, deploying or creating a new project) .  This will occur with any org that has large amount of classes. In your org, you have 2052 class.  This is a known issue and a fix is being created.  No ETA at this point that I can give.  Let me know if you have any question?

Thanks,
xxxx
Partner Developer Support- Tier 2
salesforce.com
(W)xxxx

This was selected as the best answer
ca_petersonca_peterson

Unofficially I'm pretty sure this is W-1358391 in action, which is scheduled for release along with winter 13 last I heard. Contact <unnamed vendor> support and they may be able to assist in having salesforce run a temporary fix.

geosowgeosow

I mentioned that bug to Salesforce and this is what they said:  "....Because when you save, all the class gets retrieve for some reason.  And this is what R&D is trying to fix.  It’s not related to the bug that you mention on your previous email."

I hope "smart deploy" is coming in Winter '13 as that would mean stuff like this in Eclipse is going to get addressed.

ca_petersonca_peterson

Any chance you can share your SFDC case number? I'd like to ask a contact there to review it if you don't mind.

geosowgeosow
Case # 08035309 was opened through my partner portal 2 days ago and has not even been opened yet by Salesforce. Case # 08035331 was opened by the vendor and is the one that will have history in it. My ?5309? case has the production and sandbox orgId?s in it. Thanks, *--* George Sowards *. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . * Certified Salesforce.com Developer *RedPoint Solutions, Inc.* Toll-free: *(855) CRM-FIRM* Direct: (303) 847-0846 x101
ca_petersonca_peterson

I'll poke a couple people and see if I can get a second opinion to confirm. In the meantime IDE refresh issues are something I've hit before, take a look at my comments on the SFDC stackexchange site: http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/a/212/60 

Basically refreshing only the src folder instead of the whole project made an order of magnitude speedup in refresh speed. The save issue however is rather strange.