function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
blaufblauf 

Email to Case: What email headers are being used for routing?

We've noticed that some emails we send through the new Email to Case facilities are not routed properly. After doing a little digging around it appears that the logic in salesforce depends on the correct email headers being supplied in the emails that are sent up to SFDC.

Since we do notcontrol the email headers that are being sent to us and thus sent to SFDC...it made me wonder:

What are the exact email header values that the API is looking for to correct route emails via the email-to-case facilities?

Can someone provide a list?

Thanks,
- B
fifedogfifedog
I'm not sure if this is the same thing you're seeing but here's what we're seeing and I think it's a bug and have just logged a case yesterday, 7/12/06.

Issue: Email task notification are not using the same email as normal tasks in the system.  "My Email Settings" vs. Personal information email.

I think the normal behavior of task notifications uses the email address found under the "My Personal Information."  However when a new email is processed by the email2case that notification uses the "Email-> My Email Settings."  This is a HUGE issue for us because we do NOT want to expose our internal email address for our CSR's to end users. 

Our business needs are as follows:
  • Hide CSR's personal emails from end users
  • Anytime a CSR submits a comment or emails the end user it uses one emails address, sfdc_support. So when an end user replies to the email it's processed by the email2case engine.
  • CSR is notified when a new email has been received.

In our testing we found:
  • When adding comments and the "Send Customer Notification" check box is true, it emails the end user with the 'from' as being the "My Email Settings"
  • When a customer replies to those emails a new task is created and a notification is sent to the owner of the record as long per the setting "Cases -> Email-to-Case -> 'Notify case owners when emails arrive for existing cases.'"
  • **Here is where the issue is.  That notification uses the "Email-> My Email Settings" settings unlike normal task notifications.

XmikeXmike

We are seeing the same thing. The email addresses that our CSRs have for "My Email Settings" are all set to our generic customer service address. This prevents customers from seeing the individual email addresses and since that is the address that the email handler program is set to, keeps all communication in a case logged to the case. When we check "Notify case owners when emails arrive for existing cases.", the notification email is going to the address listed under "My Email Settings" as opposed to the email listed under user detail. This adds additional problems, since that address is being monitored by the email handler program, it tries to create a new case.

I had forgotten about this since I had not done any testing in several months. I will log a case from my system too.

Mike