function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
fujihfujih 

Conditionally edit or create custom object record

I want to add functionality in a custom button to convert a pending agreement into an agreement.

Both Pending Agreement and Agreement objects are custom objects.

So when viewing a Pending Agreement and the convert to agreement button is clicked, then a check will be performed to see if an agreement already exists, if it does then edit the record otherwise create a new record.

How would I go about creating this functionality?

Suresh RaghuramSuresh Raghuram

Where is the button is it on vf page.

fujihfujih

At the moment I haven't created the button yet but I was thinking of just a custom button on the page layout.

If it needs to be on a vf page then so be it.

Could you please provide some pointers as to what the possible options are.

Suresh RaghuramSuresh Raghuram

If it is on the page layout  you can write java script to the button.

If it is on vf page then you can add your conditional code on the controller.

fujihfujih

Thanks but I was looking for help with what format the code would take rather than how to implement the button.

I believe that I should be investigating triggers but how do I conditionally decide to edit an existing record or create a new record from a trigger?

JFraileJFraile

Hi.

Here there is an example of how to achieve this invoking a VF from a custom button. Notice that the VF just calls its controller to perform the logic (action="{!autoRun}").  You can also add some code to the VF to catch alert messages.  The controller called should then do the checks you want and probably navigate the user to the agreement detail page (PageReference pageRef = newPageReference('/'+ theId);), whether it is a newly created record or an existing one being updated.