function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LloydSilverLloydSilver 

Problem Deploying Numerous Items Using Eclipse

I have a deployment of 70 items including custom objects, custom tabs, flows, page layouts, workflows, visualforce pages, as well as standard objects with custom fields.

I'm trying to deploy using Eclipse and Force.com IDe plugin. I cannot deploy and am getting failures.

The issue seems to be that these 70 items are all more or less connected to one another, and one item cannot be deployed because another item doesn't yet exist (since it hasn't yet been deployed).

For example, I can't deploy the page layout for an account record type because it includes related lists from several custom objects. And I can't deploy one custom object because another custom object hasn't yet been created.

It seems like this would be rather straightforward but perhaps it's not. Am I doing something wrong or is there a different way that I have to do this deployment?

I tried to deploy just one item at a time, and see if I can find the right order to deploy. But so far that hasn't worked, would take a long time, and just seems ridiculous to have to do.

Hopefully I'm just doing this incorrectly.

Thanks

ReidCReidC

It's been a while since I've deployed anything significant with the IDE, however I have run into this before.  My solution was always to read the error messages and break the deploy into smaller chuncks until it tested out ok, and then start to deploy.  

TheDoctorTheDoctor
Have you thought about packaging your metadata from the source org and then installing into the target Org like you would with an AppExchange package? Packages tend to work better with dependencies than the IDE does.
LloydSilverLloydSilver
Thanks. That worked almost perfectly. I had to deploy a few things referring to person accounts via Eclipse since they couldn't be installed as part of a package. But that was simple.