function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jgreene.ax1178jgreene.ax1178 

Need to split Salesforce into separate databases

Hi all!  

So I'm wondering how to separate one of my divisions in Salesforce off completely into another database.  I currently use seperate record types, profiles, page layouts and the like, but I want a completely different database here.  This is because my company could potentially one day be selling one of our divisions.   

What is the best way to do this now so that I can get a head-start here?  Any ideas are appreciated.  

Oh, I have the Enterprise Edition also. 

Thanks a lot!!!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Salesforce can have two (or more) entirely separate orgs reside in the same database. Merrill Lynch is the poster child for what they've done to achieve this. Each branch/office acts as an autonomus divison unto itself, with the branch manager acting as a local data administrator and their subordinates as normal users.

Of course, there are system administrators that process page layout changes and so on (because they are still related by metadata), but each office's record data is completely isolated from other offices in order to comply with privacy laws in regards to financial records. Also, I've seen a scenario where two sister companies with completely different business logic co-exist in a single instance.

That being said, if you need to completely sever the ties, the process would be something similar to:

1) Create a new org.

2) Use the Eclipse or Ant Toolkit to migrate the metadata.

3) Use the data loader or another tool to migrate selected records to the new org.

Once fully separated, you can use Salesforce-to-Salesforce to sync selected records, if necessary. The entire operation could be done over a single weekend if necessary, with the longest part being the data migration itself.

All Answers

DeepeshDeepesh

I don't think that's possible. You can't physically split your database in two.

Richie DRichie D

Hi,

Have a look at https://eu1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_divisions_cheatsheet.pdf

It might give you what you need; otherwise its a matter of looking into salesforce to salesforce integration.

Might be best to talk to your Account Manager and see whats possible for your scenario.

Good luck,

Rich.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Salesforce can have two (or more) entirely separate orgs reside in the same database. Merrill Lynch is the poster child for what they've done to achieve this. Each branch/office acts as an autonomus divison unto itself, with the branch manager acting as a local data administrator and their subordinates as normal users.

Of course, there are system administrators that process page layout changes and so on (because they are still related by metadata), but each office's record data is completely isolated from other offices in order to comply with privacy laws in regards to financial records. Also, I've seen a scenario where two sister companies with completely different business logic co-exist in a single instance.

That being said, if you need to completely sever the ties, the process would be something similar to:

1) Create a new org.

2) Use the Eclipse or Ant Toolkit to migrate the metadata.

3) Use the data loader or another tool to migrate selected records to the new org.

Once fully separated, you can use Salesforce-to-Salesforce to sync selected records, if necessary. The entire operation could be done over a single weekend if necessary, with the longest part being the data migration itself.

This was selected as the best answer

Wow!  Thanks a bunch for the replies all!  I appreciate all of the input.

Great info - once again thanks!

-JG

tigermikefltigermikefl

How did your project work out?  We have similar pending a sale.  What lessons learned did you find?

Also, what about custom objects, layouts, triggers etc?

Thank,

Hi there!

Here are my suggestions from lessons learned:

1. If you're trying to transfer everything out of your current org into a new one, make 'packages' so that you can download them from the app exchange when you're finished making them within your current org - that way you just pull them into your new system and they automatically update a bunch of fields/page layouts/record types etc.

2. If you need to keep everything in a current org, make different Apps within your production environment.  That way you're still using one org, but the data will be constricted to an app that you make yourself which will consist of yoru own objects/layouts/record types.  

Hope this helps!

-Jake

Scott_SScott_S
I wonder if SFDC could "copy" a production org similar to creating a full sandbox.