function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Daniel BallingerDaniel Ballinger 

Using Apex Test Execution results in a "Organization Administration Locked" that doesn't clear

A couple of days ago I encountered an issue after running the apex test cases via the Apex Test Execution UI. Essentially, after trying to run all the test cases via the async functionality the Salesforce Org would have the Organization Administration Lock on and there was no way I could clear it.

As a result, any attempt to run another test case via the Apex Class UI would result in the message:

Organization Administration Locked

The changes you requested require salesforce.com to temporarily lock your organization's administration setup. However, the administration setup has already been locked by another change. Please wait for the previous action to finish, then try again later.

Trying to save an Apex Class from Eclipse would result in the message:

Save error: Unable to perform save on all files: The changes you requested require > salesforce.com to temporarily lock your organization's administration setup. However, the administration setup has already been locked by another change. Please wait for > the previous action to finish, then try again later. (ALREADY_IN_PROCESS)

Initially I asked about it on Stack Overflow - Salesforce stuck in Organization Administration Locked state after using Apex Test Execution.

The response I got was that this is happening to other developers as well and that I should raise a support case, which I did (originally 07109567and then 07109712 was created separately by the support team for some reason unknown to me).

After about 30+ hours of not being able to develop or test in the locked sandbox orgs one of them was unlocked by support. I was told there was a known issue and to only run the test cases via the individual Apex Class UI. I should avoid running the tests via the Apex Test Execution UI or the Run All Tests button.

At this stage I guess I'd like to know:

1. What exactly is the known issue and where can I find the status of it?
  2. In the event that one of the several orgs I work on experiences the known issue what can I tell/ask support that will help them unlock it faster?
JeriMorrisJeriMorris

I had exactly the same problem too. It took nearly a full day for Support to unlock the org, our only sandbox . During that time, development and testing were at a complete standstill.

Salesforce, how do you plan to notify people when this problem is fixed, so we can safely use Apex Test Execution again? And in the meantime, shouldn't you put a warning on the Apex Test Execution page, so other people don't get locked out the way we have?

JeriMorrisJeriMorris

The final response before Support closed my case was "R&D team has identified this as a known issue and is working on the same. As confirmed by T3, there is no ETA to fix as of now. You will receive a notification from us once it will be fixed."

Which pretty much makes the Apex Test Execution page worse than useless -- it doesn't always run your tests, and  it might lock your org.

I hope "no ETA" doesn't mean it's going to be a long time. When (if!) I do get a notification that it's been fixed, I'll post that here.

JeriMorrisJeriMorris

Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet? Salesforce Support said they would let me know when it was fixed, but then they closed the case, so I don't know whether anyone is likely to follow up on it. And I don't want to try it for myself, since doing so could lock my sandbox for a day or more until Support gets around to unlocking it. Has Support let anyone know that the problem has been fixed yet?

bjzhubjzhu

I'm having the same issue: unable to perform save on all files: the changes you requested require salesforce.com to temporarily lock your organization's administration setup. however, the...."

Any updates?