function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AbanteAbante 

4MM records

Hello everyone, do you think It's possible to create an object with 3 fields (numbers) and load between 4.000.000 - 5.000.000 records?

Will I have storage issues? May I demand more data storage to SF?

Thanks in advance!!

*werewolf**werewolf*

Yes, you can do that and it should work fine, but yes, you may have storage issues.  Consider that each row will occupy 2Kb (regardless of how many fields you're using), so if you have less than 8Gb data storage then you may have an issue.  You can purchase additional storage.

JeffStevensJeffStevens

I have found this to be one of the most difficult items to accept with SF.  It makes you re-think how to store your database.  The 2k size of each record can be a real killer for you - unless you want to pay for quite a bit more storage. 

*werewolf**werewolf*

It's the typical speed vs. space tradeoff you find everywhere in computer science.  To simplify things a bit, consider that all those 500 custom fields are allocated for you whether you're using them or not.  That's what explains the 2Kb, although you have a point that perhaps Salesforce.com should allocate more storage per customer by default because of it.

Prajapati.LakhanPrajapati.Lakhan

Thanks for sharing this information, I am little bit curious about  how salesforce manages the space if there is a Long Text Area(32768)  custom field exist in some object, my understanding was it should have taken more than 32K of space per record.

Please share your thought.

Thanks,

Lakhan

SFFSFF

It's a minimum of 2K of data storage per record, not a maximum. If you set up a custom object with a single Text(1) field on it, you will still use about 2K of storage per record. (Don't forget the ID, Name, IsDeleted, OwnerId, CreatedById, CreatedDate, LastModifiedId, LastModifiedDate, and SystemModDate fields that are added onto every object, regardless.)

The real question is, do you really need all 4MM records? Can you aggregate or otherwise summarize them? What are you going to do with 4MM records on a daily basis? Do you need all of this data right now? Can you keep some of it in SQL Server and load and unload data as needed?

Hope this helps,