function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MJ Kahn / OpFocusMJ Kahn / OpFocus 

Data limit for rich/long text fields

The help for "Using Rich Text Area Fields" (https://na5.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/fields_using_rich_text_area.htm) says:

• There are no limits to the number of rich text area and long text area fields that an object can contain, although your Edition's limit for the total number of custom fields allowed on an object, regardless of field type, applies. Each object can contain a total of 1.6 million characters across long text area and rich text area fields. The default character limit for long text area and rich text area fields is 32,768 characters. A long text area or rich text area field needs to contain at least 256 characters.

Does this mean that a single record can have at most 1.6 million characters in rich/long text fiels, or that all the rich/long data for an entire object can't exceed 1.6 million?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Jia HuJia Hu
You can test it by yourself, create a long or rich text field, in the next page, on the Length input, the Salesforce will tell you, like this,

You are currently using 53,768 out of 1,638,400 characters on this object. You have 1,584,632 additional characters to allocate to this field.

53,768 is currently used in this Object,
1,638,400 is the whole limit,
1,584,632 is available for use,

but the Max of each long for rich text field is 32,768.

All Answers

Jia HuJia Hu
You can test it by yourself, create a long or rich text field, in the next page, on the Length input, the Salesforce will tell you, like this,

You are currently using 53,768 out of 1,638,400 characters on this object. You have 1,584,632 additional characters to allocate to this field.

53,768 is currently used in this Object,
1,638,400 is the whole limit,
1,584,632 is available for use,

but the Max of each long for rich text field is 32,768.
This was selected as the best answer
rocwilcoxrocwilcox

But yes... this is the limit for Each Record, not for all records for a given object...

The limit is imposed on the definition of the object itself (while creating the object definition) even if there are no records in it at all you'll still it this limit if you add to many long fields.

Jia HuJia Hu
Do you mean the record limit of each object? Then you should check your organization's storage usage,...
MJ Kahn / OpFocusMJ Kahn / OpFocus

Thanks, Jia. You're right - I should have tested it myself. 

IMHO, the wording in the documentation is a bit confusing:

Each object can contain a total of 1.6 million characters across long text area and rich text area fields

It implies (or at least, it's possible to infer) that the limit is on the total number of characters that can be stored in these fields across all records for the object. Another way to word this might be:

If you add the maximum possible lengths for all the long text area and rich text area field definitions for a single object, the maximum allowed total is 1.6 million characters.

Thanks for the replies!

Harish ChauhanHarish Chauhan
Hi,

Is there any way that we can upload the data through the data loader that is having data more than the size of the field in the salesforce. I have a rich/long text area in the salesforce with the maximum size of the field but I am having some records for that field that exceeds the maximum size of the rich text area. Any held is appreciable and thanks in advance.
James Lloyd 19James Lloyd 19
I've read this thread 3 times and I'm still not clear.

Assume I create a rich text field and allow 1600 characters and fill that field with 1600 characters.
Does that mean from this division, 1,600,000 / 1600, that I can:
1. create 1000 more rich text fields in the object - (of course exceeding the field limit, but this is to illustrate the meaning)
2. create only 1000 records for this object.
James Lloyd 19James Lloyd 19
An answer to this was provided in the Success Community - 1. Create 1000 more fields in the object NOT only create 1000 records for the object: 
https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=9063A000000p62U 

Thank you Sunil Sarilla (https://success.salesforce.com/profile?u=0053000000AJ82F" target="_blank).