function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JepsJeps 

Too many parameters error - exceeding the limit of 255 words eligible for method parameters

Hi:

I'm encountering errors during compilation time.  I'm using eclipse IDE running on jdk 1.4.2.

Two errors came up:

1)  "Too manay parameters, paramter Tools_Status__c is exceeding the limit of 255 words eligible for method parameters"

2)  "Too manay parameters, paramter vendio__c is exceeding the limit of 255 words eligible for method parameters"

Anyone encountered this before?

Let me know if you have a solution for this.

thanks,

jay

Message Edited by Jeps on 05-04-2006 02:44 PM

Message Edited by Jeps on 05-04-2006 02:45 PM

BeanBean
I have the same issue.  The organization I am working with is using a type with over 255 fields in it.  After I create the Java bindings with axis's WSDL2Java tool, I have to comment out the verbose constructor just to get the project to compile. 

Does anyone here have a recommended approach to resolving this?  I'm not sure if Axis uses the verbose constructor, but it doesn't seem like it would be safe to leave it commented out.  I tried to use search engines to find an answer, and didn't find anything that helps. 

Anyway, if anyone has some suggestions I'd appreciate a response. 

SuperfellSuperfell
Log a bug with the Axis folks.
BeanBean
Will do.  When/if I get an answer, I'll post the response here.

- Bean.

Edit: There is a bug like this open already, which was entered in March.  The axis developer/user recommended using the "--noWrapped" parameter to WSDL2Java.  I tried that, and it didn't fix the problem.  Here's the bug report:
The user had the same issue, apparently with his/her Opportunity class.

Message Edited by Bean on 05-31-2006 05:39 PM

JegadishJegadish
Hi I am getting the same error. I am using Eclipse with jdk 1.5.
If you have some answer please share with us.
Its very urgent thing that need to be resolved for me as we are going for the testing(UAT) in few days.

JegadishJegadish
Hi ,
I am getting the same error. I am using Eclipse with jdk 1.5.
If you have some answer please share with us.
Its very urgent thing that need to be resolved for me as we are going for the testing(UAT) in few days.

Regards,
Jegdish.
JegadishJegadish

Hi Bean, Simon,

Any updates on this.

Please help.

Thanks,

Jegdish.

Rick.BanisterRick.Banister
Use the Partner WSDL. Then you can enjoy it failing at run time instead!

What we recommend is, if you have excessive numbers of fields (over 200 seems to do it), trim down what the connection can see with security settings. The ability to have 500 fields is not matched by the ability to actually retrieve them.
JasonRogersJasonRogers

Rick.Banister wrote:
Use the Partner WSDL. Then you can enjoy it failing at run time instead!

What we recommend is, if you have excessive numbers of fields (over 200 seems to do it), trim down what the connection can see with security settings. The ability to have 500 fields is not matched by the ability to actually retrieve them.

OK, I'll bite.  How do you "trim down what the connection can see with security settings"?
JasonRogersJasonRogers
If you are referring to setting field level security on users that won't work, not in this users case anyway.  The problem is at the code generation level.  We would need some way to mark fields as "not applicable" so that they don't even come through the WSDL.
CodeTalkerCodeTalker
Hi All,

I believe I am having the same problem.
(My Lead object has too many fields)

After downloading an updated wsdl, I used Axis 1.4 and Ant to
generate the Java classes.
At first it seemed like I couldn't generate the classes at all.

I did find the Axis issue on their board.
It looks like there is a fix.
I downloaded the "Final Release" of Axis 1.4

I can now generate the classes but Eclipse shows an error.
Then if I try to execute my main method I get the following error.

Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError: Too many arguments in 
method signature in class file com/sforce/soap/enterprise/sobject/Lead

I was wondering how others have solved this.
1. Did you edit the constructor to comment out the extra parameters?
2. Did you remove fields from your SF object?
3. Something else?

Thanks in Advance.

rtompkinsrtompkins

I am running into the same problem as the original poster. Did anyone find a definative solution?

Thanks

rtompkinsrtompkins

I did manage to find a possible solution for this problem. The simplest solution is to create a new profile and restricts the fields it has access for. Then login as a user with that profile whenever you download the wsdl file from salesforce.com.

*You should also use this profile for your integration user just to be safe.

To explain the steps further.

1.Create a new profile and label it limited_api_profile

2. Go to the Object (in my situation it was the contact object) that has too many fields. Edit the visiblity of the fields that you dont need to integrate. The fields should have"Visible" and "Read-only" values set to false.

3.Change the profile for your api user(eg api_integration_user@company.com) to the new limited_api_profile.

4.Login as  api_integration_user@company.com and proceed to download the enterprise.wsdl file and consume the wsdl. You will notice the excess fields are now missing.

5.Instruct all of your developers/admins to always uncheck the "visible" and "read-only" checkboxes for limited_api_profile  whenever the add/update fields that dont need to be integrated.