function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
igs1964igs1964 

Duplicate Account Record created when using External ID Field in API 7.0

Has anyone seen this before?  We are using an External ID field to bind account records between two systems and use the Upsert API call.  We have found a couple of instances where an Account record is created twice, using the same External ID value.  I thought this was not possible when using the External ID field in conjunction with Upsert.

Any ideas?
JetlagJetlag
I too am having problems with duplicates. I find I've just created about 4000 duplicates and not sure why....I am wondering what is going on as I understand also that upsert cannot duplicate external ids. i have also though been converting leads. and im wondering if theres something in that process that causes duplicates. i'm investigating it right now.

just to be sure though - you have the external id specifed as such in the setup?

let me know if you find anything!

I have pinned down a record thats doing it - though still not sure why yet - it also doesnt error out when i try to update it - as normally an upsert would if there were duplicate records

OK I have the answer: I added the "External Id" after a bunch of the data was in. It did not update the old records. therefore upsert did not see the external id as an id and was able to insert a duplicate.

Message Edited by Jetlag on 09-07-2006 06:11 AM

greeniegreenie
"OK I have the answer: I added the "External Id" after a bunch of the data was in. It did not update the old records. therefore upsert did not see the external id as an id and was able to insert a duplicate."

New here...So how do you prevent this scenario from happening and make sure the existing/old records are updated?