function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MC-DragnierMC-Dragnier 

Parallel Case Resolution

We're looking into the ability to resolve a parent and child case in parallel.

we have a couple of different service groups, so for example, a case could be opened in general support, and a determination is made that some work needs to be done by group A on physical hardware, and some work needs to be done by Group B for coding changes.

We now have two tickets related to a master that are operating in parallel and we want to be able to monitor the status of the master, such that when each of the two children are resolved, the master ticket can be closed.  But if the children aren't resolved, the parent shouldn't be able to be closed because the issue is still open.

I'm thinking it may be possible to put some workflow and validation rules behind this, but I'm wondering if somebody is aware of a more efficient and reliable way to get this done and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

I think you'll find you need triggers for this. Validation rules can't work off of children records (you can't say "this record can not be closed because at least one child is open"), nor will workflow rules be able to affect the parent record correctly. The necessary trigger is actually very small, only about 8-10 lines of code in total.