function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MC-DragnierMC-Dragnier 

Cloning the Home Tab

I think I've found myself between a rock and a hard place.

We have two different business units.  As a function of what they do, they would need to see different dashboards, be concerned with different objects within salesforce, etc.

Is it possible to create a "virtual" home for business group B by creating a secondary Home Page Layout and then pointing their relevant dashboards, security/visiblity settings towards that, or can we for all intents and purposes clone the home tab so we have a brand new instance of the home tab to skin their way and point things to/from?

doing this with some salesforce objects is simple since we can create new record types, such as for leads, opportunities, etc and dictate what the default type is based on user profiles.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

You could create a Visualforce tab, and give it the ability to show multiple configurations. However, this would be pure coding. The standard Home tab can't have multiple layouts that a user could switch between. For example, the dashboard snapshot component shows the last viewed dashboard for the user. There's no way to specify multiple dashboards as the currently selected dashboard.

du-scodouglasdu-scodouglas

You can manage your tabs on a per user basis.

You can also set default applications to users.

Applications can control what tabs are available to the current user.

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

du-scodouglas wrote:

You can manage your tabs on a per user basis.

You can also set default applications to users.

Applications can control what tabs are available to the current user.

That is true, but this is not what the question is about. They are trying to give the user the ability to display multiple "home" tabs depending on which configuration they would like to view. As such, they would have to do it manually.

However, I just remembered something I once stumbled upon: http://techsahre.blogspot.com/2010/10/easy-sf-portlets-with-jquery-project.html

Try this out; it lets you make a customizable "iGoogle" type page where you can add your own code to various virtual windows. Maybe this could help you get what you're looking for. You may need to make some adjustments.