function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
KC0798KC0798 

Simple update not working

Hi there,

I'm writing a simple code to update my custom 'Mood' field on the user record. The result is successful, but the record is not updated. The mood field is a picklist. Anyone? Code below:

var result = sforce.connection.query("SELECT Id, Name, Mood__c " +
    "FROM User WHERE Id='{!User.Id}'");
var rec = result.getArray("records");
  alert(rec[0].Mood__c); //Testing with first record. Confirmed that a record is retrieved and show initial record value

rec[0].Mood__c = "Happy";
  var saveResult = sforce.connection.update(rec);
  if(saveResult[0].success){  // Always indicates success
  alert('Successful');
  }
 else {
  alert('There was an error');
  }
Many Thanks!
KC
werewolfwerewolf
This is Javascript, btw, should be posted on the AJAX board.  Anyway:

Why not output what the error actually is rather than just alerting "there is an error!"?   That will probably be very helpful to you in debugging the issue. 

Docs here:

KC0798KC0798
Thanks and you're right, sorry abt that!
KC0798KC0798
I tried to capture the error, but the problem is that its not returning any error. It seems to be going thru, but the record is just not updated.

I can query the record fine and I'm just updating one field, could it be the fields that I'm querying? Do I need to query specific fields or number of fields before I can update it back?

werewolfwerewolf
In the results that come back, each individual result will also contain an array of error messages, probably called errors.  There is very likely an error message there.

Another option is to turn on debug logging and then do what you're trying to do.  That will tell you where you went wrong too.

Finally, in general when developing with the AJAX toolkit, it's a good idea to use Firebug.  That would allow you to just put a breakpoint after your update and examine the results.  It will probably tell you exactly what you need to know.