function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Danny5Danny5 

login() username password alternatives

Using enterprise.wsdl

I have a standalone PC based java application, this application would be distributed to many different users PC's

The application sends files to sf accounts as attachements.

Right now, the sf username, password, and token are stored in a database within the application and used to login to saleforce when needed.

I was wondering if there is a better way to gain access without having to provide the password?  I looked at the OAuth documentation, doesn't fit my

need.  The end user of the application doesn't know that they are sending data to saleforce, just that they are sending a file to their financial institution.

Is there a different user type in salesforce that can somehow be tied to only allow access through the api and not the portal, something like that?

Wanted to be sure I haven't missed something.

Thanks

kingkong94538kingkong94538

No password means anyone could submit anything to your Salesforce instance! I think you can create your site in Salesforce and then permit such functionality.

Ryan-GuestRyan-Guest

I'm not sure if it's exactly what you want, but one way to avoid supplying a password to salesforce is to use single sign on.

Have a look here:

http://wiki.developerforce.com/index.php/How_to_Implement_Single_Sign-On_with_Force.com