function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TbomTbom 

Does the unique MyDomain qualify for both production and sandbox instances?

Silly question here but:  Does the unique MyDomain qualify for both production and sandbox instances? I would think so, but just want to double check out there.

So I could:

Register "crazydomain" in the sandbox and have:

https://crazydomain--crazydev.cs3.my.salesforce.com

And register "crazydomain" in Production and have:

https://crazydomain.my.salesforce.com 

(of course, I'd have to reserve/register in both places)

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
TbomTbom

CORRECTION -- THIS IS NOT FINE!

SFDC just confirmed my hunch today at Dreamforce '12.

You can NOT specify the MyDomain you want to use in Production in Sandbox first!

You MUST specify/reserve in Production first!!  Otherwise you'll lose it and you sandbox will be stuck with something like:

google.devbox-cs1.salesforce.com

and your beloved Production will have to be something lame like:

google1.my.salesforce.com

All Answers

TbomTbom

This seems to be fine: You can have the same MyDomain in your Prod and Sandbox instances.

TbomTbom

CORRECTION -- THIS IS NOT FINE!

SFDC just confirmed my hunch today at Dreamforce '12.

You can NOT specify the MyDomain you want to use in Production in Sandbox first!

You MUST specify/reserve in Production first!!  Otherwise you'll lose it and you sandbox will be stuck with something like:

google.devbox-cs1.salesforce.com

and your beloved Production will have to be something lame like:

google1.my.salesforce.com

This was selected as the best answer
CloudFzCloudFz
What happens when the sandbox is deleted? I would agree with Tbom's answer. Should allow us to enable the same name in both SB & Prod
TbomTbom
I think SFDC actually corrected this in a recent release (Summer 13 or Winter 14)... So you if you setup MyDomain in a sandbox org before production org, you won't lose a unique domain name.

@CloudFz -- I'm not sure what happens if you delete a sandbox that has a myDomain associated with it where that myDomain hasn't been deployed to a Production org yet. But again, I think SFDC fixed the issue.
Andrew Kuharich 5Andrew Kuharich 5
Has there been any updates to Tbom's original question?

We are setting up an org in Sandbox first and will be deploying to (net.new) Production when ready. We are already building (in sandbox) and want to deploy My Domain. Does it matter which org we deploy/activate My Domain in first? I see @Tbom comment above suggesting it doesn't matter, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!
TbomTbom
Google the Release Notes for Summer 13 or Winter 14 to be sure.. But any reason to not just register your Prod MyDomain now?