function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
zhagrizhagri 

Expand Rich Text Area

We are trying to expand the length of, “Rich Text Area” to greater than 32,768 – we’ve reached the maximum characters allowed. Do you know how to make this possible?
jd123jd123

Hi

Salesforce supports up to 32,768 characters for each rich text area field, including the HTML tags. If desired, you can set a lower limit.

There are no limits to the number of rich text area and long text area fields that an object can contain, although your Edition's limit for the total number of custom fields allowed on an object, regardless of field type, applies. Each object can contain a total of 1.6 million characters across long text area and rich text area fields. The default character limit for long text area and rich text area fields is32,768 characters. A long text area or rich text area field needs to contain at least 256 characters.

https://na9.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/fields_using_rich_text_area.htm

zhagrizhagri

Ok, thanks.

How could I set a higher characters limit? More than 32,768 characters?

zhagrizhagri

thanks for the link!

i tried using Google Chrome browser and still get the same message:

Error: You can't use more than 32,768 characters.

Is there anything type of settings changes i could do to expand the length of the text area?

SFFSFF

No, there isn't. The database is set up to hold a maximum of 32,768 characters in a field of this type and there's nothing you can do about it.

I would also suggest that if you need to store that much data in a single field in the database, there may be something unusual about your business requirement. 32K is a reasonably long document. Are you sure you don't just need to attach this document as an Attachment to a record?

Good luck!

zhagrizhagri
We track account summary updates in that text box. So it is constantly getting new information added. We need the field to be longer to hold on of this information. Any suggestions? i.e. 6-12-12 Customer is moving forward and selecting business plan such and such. 4-3-12 Customer is in entry stage. They are considering such and such 3-5-12 Customer is not response.
zhagrizhagri
We track account summary updates in that text box. So it is constantly getting new information added. We need the field to be longer to hold all of this information. Any suggestions? i.e. 6-12-12 Customer is moving forward and selecting business plan such and such. 4-3-12 Customer is in entry stage. They are considering such and such 3-5-12 Customer is not response.