function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Zions AnalyticsZions Analytics 

Jitterbit Data Loader for Salesforce vs. Apex Data Loader

The basic question: Is Jitterbit Data Loader for Salesforce a better data loader than Apex Data Loader?

The deciding factors for us would be performance, stability, ease of configuration, and vendor support

I am looking for insight from someone who has used both and would like to get your opinion about which one you prefer and why

This is how we use Apex Data Loader today...
- Bulk Load .csv files into the cloud
- Insert, Update, Upsert, Delete, Export
- Called via Shell script from SSIS

A key feature of the Apex data Loader that makes it work for us today is this:
The ability to edit the "config.properties" file

For example...
We have found it necessary to tweak the following settings on an object by object, operation by operation basis to achieve the required level of performance and still stay within Salesforce API usage metering limits:
dataAccess.writeBatchSize
dataAccess.readBatchSize
sfdc.loadBatchSize
sfdc.extractionRequestSize

Does Jitterbit allow for this same level of configuration?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer!

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
danoxendanoxen

Disclaimer that I work for Jitterbit.  As such I would point you to the AppExchange to read user reviews comparing JB Data Loader to Apex:  http://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000016ZoVEAU

Jitterbit Data Loader offers a subset of features and functionality from our core Cloud integration platform.  Included are the same performance features, including complete support for  the Bulk API.

You can also edit batch sizes on a per-operation basis.   Each operation runs against a specific SFDC object.

I'd highly recommend that you try Jitterbit Data Loader for yourself -- it is easy to install and configure and we offer a number of Youtube videos to help get you started --- plus it's free, so there isn't much risk, only upside when you realize how much easier it will make your job :)

-Dan

All Answers

danoxendanoxen

Disclaimer that I work for Jitterbit.  As such I would point you to the AppExchange to read user reviews comparing JB Data Loader to Apex:  http://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000016ZoVEAU

Jitterbit Data Loader offers a subset of features and functionality from our core Cloud integration platform.  Included are the same performance features, including complete support for  the Bulk API.

You can also edit batch sizes on a per-operation basis.   Each operation runs against a specific SFDC object.

I'd highly recommend that you try Jitterbit Data Loader for yourself -- it is easy to install and configure and we offer a number of Youtube videos to help get you started --- plus it's free, so there isn't much risk, only upside when you realize how much easier it will make your job :)

-Dan

This was selected as the best answer
Zions AnalyticsZions Analytics

We have been evaluating Jitterbit for a short time now and wow are we impressed.

My origin question was about how Jitterbit compares to Apex Data Loader

Danoxen is spot on with his assesment we are seeing the same thing

We are now on our way to becoming a Jitterbit “shop”

One enhancement that we would use is Bulk query from the Salesforce cloud and load directly into a database target table (like a SQL Server)

calvin_nrcalvin_nr

How does Jilterbit help when trying to load records from Production to say a Sandbox which is not a full copy sandbox.

Right now we use the Data loader to first load the Accounts and then populate the new ids on the Account field of other custom objects using Vlookups.

At times this is really hard to do as some objects have references to 4-5 other objects.

fgwarb_devfgwarb_dev

danoxen wrote:

[...]

You can also edit batch sizes on a per-operation basis.   [...]

-Dan

I'm trying to do exactly this; I've googled and found an article stating that I do this by  "right clicking on the source batch node and selecting 'Define batch transformation...'. Enter the batch size in the 'Define batch node' dialog that is presented."

I can't find this "batch node" in Jitterbit 5.0.3.8, can you help?