function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SidzSidz 

Restrict users from using data loader or any application which connects to salesforce?

Hi,

I have been hearing mixed opinions about what connected apps are used for in salesforce.com.Can anyone please clarify if connected apps can be used to prevent access to Salesforce.com api's for a particular user.

Our main use case is to 

Prevent selected list of users from using ANT migration tool,Data Loader.

Any idea or thoughts is very much useful to me .

Thanks,

Sid

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

I don't believe that this is the case.  Connected apps use oauth to gain a certain level of access via an API.  

The data loader and ant migration tool simply login to the web services or metadata API.

You'll need to reduce the users permissions to stop them viewing or changing setup data.

AshishyadavAshishyadav

Turn off API access in their profile

the dataloader functionality is still an idea

https://sites.secure.force.com/success/ideaView?id=08730000000jlwXAAQ

SidzSidz

Hi,

I apologize I did not elaborate.
I cannot restrict users from API Access , they still have to use chatter desktop.

I have learned that once "Connected Apps"  feature is fully active in a sandobx , it will only allow API access for whitelisted apps.

I was asked to wait till the feature is completely active in my developer instance and sandbox.

I don't have any demo to prove my previous point, I will have to wait till I get more information from Salesforce.com

AshishyadavAshishyadav
then i think its not possible man...! i never found any other way around for this query