function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AP13AP13 

I can't choose the controlling field I need for a dependent picklist.

I'm trying to make a dependent picklist with 'Event Type' as the controlling field, but I am unable to select most Event fields when I go to New Field Dependencies and look at the Controlling Field drop down menu.

I should be able to access any standard or custom picklist field as the controlling field. Does anyone know why this would be occuring? 

I'm hoping to avoid apex since the point of field dependencies is to create dependent picklists...

AP13AP13

I just came across this in SF docs: 

The following fields are not available as controlling fields:

Activity Fields-

Call Type

Create recurring series of events

Show Time As

Subject

Task

Type

So this does require Apex. 

sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce

Picklist limitations

Custom picklist fields can be either controlling or dependent fields.Standard picklist fields can be controlling fields but not dependent fields.The maximum number of values allowed in a controlling field is 300. In addition, if a field is both a controlling field and dependent picklist, it can't contain more than 300 values.Before defining a dependency, make sure your picklist has at least one value; standard fields like Product Family do not contain any values until you add them.If a standard controlling field relies on functionality that your organization decides to disable, the dependency rules for the picklist will go away. For example, if your organization disables the Self-Service portal and the Closed by Self-Service User is a controlling field, its dependent picklist will display all available values.The following fields are not available as controlling fields:

Activity Fields Call Type Create recurring series of events Show Time As Subject Task Type