function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Noam DganiNoam Dgani 

Vertical development and the Force.com Platform

Hi All

Spoiler: i dont have a specific issue - i'm just looking for the insights and expirience of the community members.

The company i work for started out using Salesforce as their CRM system about 4 yrs ago and is now at a point where most backend processes are built on the Force.com platform, due to the relative rapid development opportunities it presents. 

Due to the ongoing growth in demand for new processes in the Force.com platform, we are researching the possibility of going vertical with our Force.com development (and when i say development, i dont just mean code - configuration, data model etc.) - which basically means, if we look at our ultimate goal, every product/business unit will have an allocated Force.com mini-team (1-2 people) to provide their Backend/CRM needs.

The challange is to allow these autonomous silos of force.com teams to work independently without stepping on each other's toes - and that is not a straight forward task when using Force.com (or any system for that matter - but Force makes it harder).

Some clashes that come to mind are:

1. sharing governer limits.

2.sharing a data model.

3. sharing the application layer (if not coded correctly - a simple exception in a trigger could affect processes fromother silos).

and many more.

The idea of multi-orgs has been raised, but from personal expirience, i think its a turn you dont want to take (generally speaking of course).

I would like to hear you opinions and expiriences with such challanges.

King Regards

Noam Dgani