function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ColoradoMikeColoradoMike 

Any impact on upgrading the Partner WSDL in my application?

I have a ASP.NET web application that currently uses the Partner WSDL 8.0 (ie, my Web Reference was generated from the 8.0 Partner WSDL and my users have buttons that set their server URL like this:

"serverURL={!API.Partner_Server_URL_80}"

I'm considering upgrading Web Reference in my application to the 12.0 version of the Partner WSDL, but before I do so, I wanted to get an opinion about what will happen to users that have buttons that still refer to the 8.0 WSDL.

Will their URLs still work, even though my application would have the 12.0 version? Aside from upgrading their buttons to refer to the latest version, can I programmatically alter the ServerURL to use the API.Partner_Server_URL_120?

werewolfwerewolf
So your users have buttons that refer to the 8.0 WSDL but they'll be sending information to your app which is using the 12.0 WSDL?  I'm not entirely getting the question.
ColoradoMikeColoradoMike
Yep, that's right.  New users will have buttons that refer to the 12.0 API, but previous users' buttons will still refer to the 8.0 API.

For the users with the 8.0 reference, what I'd really like to do is to dynamically change the ServerURL to whatever it should be for the 12.0 API, but I don't think that's really possible, is it?
SuperfellSuperfell
Well, there's no supported way to do it, but doing as simple string replacement of /8.0/ with /12.0/ isn't going to break anytime soon.

I assume you've read the cumulative set of release notes for 9.0, 10.0, 11.0 & 12.0 to understand changes in behavior you might seen between 8.0 & 12.0.
ColoradoMikeColoradoMike
Hi Simon,

What about the string that follows the version?  ie, ".../8.0/472300D500000007E7E"  Would you suggest I leave that and only replace the version number? Or should I drop the end? (starting with 4723...)

What is that, anyway?
SuperfellSuperfell
You should leave the entire string entact, and just change the version #.

the string at the end is a routing hint, it allows us to route your request to the server best suited to handle it without us having to parse the XML payload first.
ColoradoMikeColoradoMike
Super.  Thanks so much.