function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jamesp@furyjuice.comjamesp@furyjuice.com 

Workflow rule for Opportunity Naming by picklist

G'day

I have only 4 main products in the system and I want to create a work flow that auto populates the Opportunity Name.

I have created the picklist

Opportunity Type

Product A

Product B

Product C

Product D

Created workflow

Rule Name: Opp Type1

Rule Critera: Opportunity: Opportunity Type EQUALS Product A

Workflow Action

Field Update: Opportunity Name

Formula: This is where I'm stuck

I have tied

TEXT (Opportunity_Type_c)

TEXT (Product A)

"Product A"

Im so close or am I so far.

Any help will make my day.

Cheers

Prafull G.Prafull G.
What is the error you are receiving with this.

Your formula should say "TEXT(Opportunity_Type_c)".

Do you want to add any additional parameter in name along with Opportunity Type?
gautam_singhgautam_singh

Hi,

What is the exact requiremnet of your's which you want to achieve ?

As per my manipulations , You have a Field Opportunity Type with Values Product A , Product B , Product C and Product D. Pro

Now what you want is When Opportunity Type = "Product A" , then you want the Opportunity Name should be Product A.

CheckIn's You need to do

-- Have you activated the Workflow which you have crated
-- Do you want the Opportunity Name to be populated with the Opportunity Type ? If Yes then

- Change the criteria to Opportunity Name not equals Blank
        - Let the Field updateas it is.

-- Do you want something else in the Opportunity Name addiontal to the picklist value ? If Yes, then use Concatination
    Ex- TEXT( Opportunity_Type__c) &  OrderNumber__c will produce the Opp Name with product name and ordernumber.

-- Do you want to refer the Product Object like Opportunity Type Product A which means "Loreum Ispoim" [Any Product Name   which you have decided]. if Yes then write the exact name of product in the picklist.

Let us every one know the exact requirements. 

Important :

Hit Kudos if this provides you with useful information and if this is what you where looking for then please mark it as a solution for other benefits.

Thank You

Thanks for the replys.

very simple requirment 

Opportunity Name be auto populated with the pic list selction after I save.

I tried yiu first step no love. 

Now a bit of detail I left out Opportunity name is a required field ( I didnt think this should make a difference (haveing said that I tried remove required I was not able to due to its a standard field)

thanks heaps for the replies

gautam_singhgautam_singh

Hi,

Before you start make sure you have Opportynity Type Picklist with values Product A , Product B , Product C and Product D.

Now Go To Steup > Create > Workflow > Select Opportunity Object

Follow these Steps :-

1. Criteria Opportunity Name not equals to Blank.

2. Click Next.

3. Add a Field Update , Give it a Unique Name . Select Opportunity Name as the field which you want to update.

4. Click on Show Formula Edition.

5. From the Left Pane, Select the TEXT() Formula.

6. Click on Insert and while the cursor between () and Select Opportunity Name.

7. Click on Check Syntax for verification.

8. Click on Save and then Click on Done.

9. Click on Activate, The Process will work Correctly.

The thing which seems to be missed by you was you were entering a criteria valid only for picklist vale "Product A " . Now it should work correctly.

Important :

Hit Kudos if this provides you with useful information and if this is what you where looking for then please mark it as a solution for other benefits.

Thank You

Thanks for the step by step.

I must be missing somthing simple.

1. Criteria Opportunity Name not equals to Blank. check

2. Click Next.

3. Add a Field Update , Give it a Unique Name . Select Opportunity Name as the field which you want to update. check

4. Click on Show Formula Edition.

5. From the Left Pane, Select the TEXT() Formula. check

6. Click on Insert and while the cursor between () and Select Opportunity Name. I select the Opportunity Name but only name entered into the field. then i get syntax error: Error: Incorrect parameter type for function 'TEXT()'. Expected Number, Date, DateTime, Picklist, received Text . that says to me that i have the wrong field selected.. or missing somthing simple..

7. Click on Check Syntax for verification.

8. Click on Save and then Click on Done.

9. Click on Activate, The Process will work Correctly.

gautam_singhgautam_singh
Opportunity Name not equals to Blank. or Opportunity Name not equals to "Blank." what are you putting in ?

I tried it both ways and still getvthe syntax error for the text formula.

Thanks for your hep.

kevin lamkevin lam

Tried this in my org and it worked:

TEXT(Opportunity_Type__c)

Still no love,

Workflow

Rule Criteria: Opporuntiy Name: Opportunity Name NOT EQUAL TO Blank (I have ttried typing blank, "Blank" and leaving the field blank)

Workflow actions

Feild Update: Opportunity: Opportunity Name

Field Data Type: Text

Re-evaluate Workflow Rules after Field Change: Have this ticked but have tried it unticked

Formula Type: TEXT (Opportunity_Type_c)      This is the only field I can insert that does not create a syntax error. If I select Opportunity Name the formula comes out as TEXT (Name) and I get syntax error.

This is driving me bonkers.

I would have thought that in the formula field that I need to have the name of the Picklist value in there and have 4 seperate rules for each of the 4 products. But none of my messing about has made that work.

Any help would be awesome.

gautam_singhgautam_singh

Hi,

Slight Change which I interpreted wrong.

6. Click on Insert and while the cursor between () and Select Opportunity Name.

instead of the field Name , It should be Opportunity_Type__c.

I believe the function of workflow should work correctly, there may me some miss points over testing.

Also , Can you please check the Evaluation Criteria and make it "Every Time it is created and Edited" and then test over the existing records.

If it doesnt work still ! Then Sync with me over Messages , I will fix this in your org.

Important :

Thank You

Worked out the issue! Hazza!

Becasue the Opportunity name field is standard and required it requires at least 1 line of text in it to save for it to activate. Once i placed a 1 in the Opportunity name and hit save the value appeared.

That was messing with my head.