function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Justin.WilliamsJustin.Williams 

Nested SOQL queries won't work

Can't seem to get this to work.  I have a left outer join query but it doesn't like the relationship syntax:

for (Account acct:[SELECT Id,(SELECT Solution__c FROM Org_ID__r)FROM Account WHERE Id in :list_Accts.ID]) {

It says it doesn't understand the relationship from Org_ID__r but I check and thats the name of the child object as shown in the lookup field.  

Here is what i'm trying to do.  I have a related list under the Account that is lookup, not master-detail.  It holds different external IDs an account could possibly have (duplicates).  There is a field on the account that functions the same and is the old way we did it when it was a one to one relationship.  To speed things up for our service teams to enter accounts they just put the account number on the account and a trigger decides if a new entery in the related list needs to be added or not.

1. user enteres a number in a text field to represent an external Key.

2. If that number doesn't match any of the numbers in the related list then create a new one, else leave it alone.

Is the Left Outer Join the way to go?  I did something like this on another trigger but that was a master-detail and also standard objects so I don't know if my syntax is correct.

Here is the old code with the nested SOQL that I am trying to fix:

trigger CPMOrgIDCreate on Account (after insert, after update) {
    try {
        // List of account IDs
        List<Id> list_Accts = new List<Id>();

// Add to the list all opps associated with an agreement in the trigger that has been signed
        for (Account AcctID: Trigger.New) {
            if ((trigger.isInsert && AcctID.CPM_Org_ID__c != NULL)|| ( trigger.isUpdate && AcctID.CPM_Org_ID__c != NULL && trigger.oldMap.get(AcctID.id).CPM_Org_ID__c != AcctID.CPM_Org_ID__c )){
                list_Accts.add(AcctID.ID); 
            }
        }

// Loop through all accounts who were added to the list previously
        for (Account acct:[SELECT Id, CPM_Org_ID__c FROM Account WHERE Id in :list_Accts]) {

// Check to see if a project already exists that is related to the opportunity
            List<ORG_ID__c> list_OrgIDs = new List<ORG_ID__c>();
            for (ORG_ID__c SystemID:[SELECT Id FROM ORG_ID__c WHERE ID__c = :acct.CPM_Org_ID__C AND Account__c = :acct.id]) {
                list_OrgIDs.add(SystemID);
            }

if (list_OrgIDs.size() == 0) {
                // If ID does not exist, create one
                ORG_ID__c OID = new ORG_ID__c();
                OID.Account__c = acct.Id;
                OID.ID__c = acct.CPM_Org_ID__c;
                OID.Solution__c = 'CPM';

// Create the new project
                insert OID;
            }            
        }
    } catch (Exception e) {Trigger.new[0].addError(e.getMessage());}   
}

SoleesSolees

Before adding that code to a trigger, try using the Force.com Explorer, or the Soqlxplorer for Mac or the Anonymous query in the developer console.

harry.freeharry.free

I think you are using incorrect relationship.

In my understanding, there is an ORG_ID__c object with an account lookup field? Go to the field definition page, find the "Child Relationship Name" value, then add "__r" to it.

For example if the "Child Relationship Name" is "ORG_IDs", you can write the query like this:

List<Account> accounts = [select Id, (select Id from ORG_IDs__r) from Account];

Justin.WilliamsJustin.Williams

I did have the wrong child name.  Turns out there was an 's' in the child name that shouldn't have been there.

The Force.com Explorer helped me find that.  Nice tool, i could use more like it.

Still having one problem.  In the code below there is a Where clause filtering results if the ID__c !='123'.   Thats a static value I put in just to get it to work.  I need it to dynamically reference the field on the account, 'CPM_Org_ID__c'.  Being new to these join queries I don't know how to reference that.  I conceptually understand how it works with nested queries but I need to get away from that which is why I am trying joined queries.

Again the basic business case is that every time a string is entered into the account field 'CPM_Org_ID__c' SF will check all realted Org_ID__c records for a match.  If there is a match, if there is no match create a new Org_ID__c record using that number, if there is a match, do nothing.

trigger CPMOrgIDCreate on Account (after insert, after update) {
    try {
        // List of account IDs
        List<Account> list_Accts = new List<Account>();
        List<Org_ID__c> newID = new list<Org_ID__c>();
        MAP<ID,String> AccID = NEW MAP<ID,String>();

// Add to the list all opps associated with an agreement in the trigger that has been signed
        for (Account AcctID: Trigger.New) {
            if (
                (trigger.isInsert && AcctID.CPM_Org_ID__c != NULL) ||
                (trigger.isUpdate && AcctID.CPM_Org_ID__c != NULL && trigger.oldMap.get(AcctID.id).CPM_Org_ID__c != AcctID.CPM_Org_ID__c )
            ){
                list_Accts.add(AcctID);
                AccID.put(AcctID.ID,AcctID.CPM_Org_ID__c);
            }
        }

// Loop through all accounts who were added to the list previously
        for (Account acct:[SELECT Id, CPM_Org_ID__c, (SELECT ID__c,Solution__c FROM Org_IDs__r WHERE Solution__c = 'CPM' AND ID__c = '123') FROM Account WHERE Id in :list_Accts]) {
                IF(acct.Org_IDs__r.size() == 0){
                // If ID does not exist, create one
                ORG_ID__c OID = new ORG_ID__c();
                OID.Account__c = acct.Id;
                OID.ID__c = acct.CPM_Org_ID__c;
                OID.Solution__c = 'CPM';
                insert OID;
                //newID.add(OID);

}
            //insert newID;
        }
    } catch (Exception e) {Trigger.new[0].addError(e.getMessage());}